?

Old 19-12-2016, 02:15
Sydney
730 Posts
Steam Profile
ozfortressobla obla is offline aka cookies, oblacite
League Director
FEEDBACK THREAD NOW COVERS BOTH NIGHTS

This is an overall feedback thread of Midsummer Night's Cup 2017.

I want to hear feedback on:
1. Maps - Bagel and Cardinal
2. Structure
3. Administrative handling.

The feedback will be gathered so future tournaments can be improved.
Last edited by obla; 16-01-2017 at 19:35.
Old 19-12-2016, 12:55
New South Wales
8 Posts
Steam Profile
imho if you get knocked out on the first round you shouldn't be out for the whole tourny, like maybe have a losers bracket
Old 19-12-2016, 13:09
New Zealand
194 Posts
Steam Profile
i think it would be cool if we played cardinal in the next summer cup ok

also i think bagel needs to have some work with like excessive details and stuff, seems like its a bit shitty for soldiers shooting rockets at stuff and their rockets not hitting things cause of weird corners and pockets everywhere to hinder splash damage but it might just be all in my head, on the flipside for solly i feel its kinda OP in terms of being able to bomb basically any point of mid from another point of mid if that makes sense

other than that im too noob to provide any good feedback

oh also i think the masking of sniper sightlines is p good but theres still some spots that are hard for the enemy team to close down like scoping in from the middle exit out into mid
Last edited by Mio; 19-12-2016 at 18:57.
Old 19-12-2016, 13:34
Hobart
78 Posts
Steam Profile
It went well, it would've been nice if you could've run extra servers for practice. And it would be appreciated if someone can setup the relay as shrak didn't reply and obla wasn't available meaning we couldn't cast.
Old 19-12-2016, 16:56
Brisbane
45 Posts
Steam Profile
ozfortressyauch yauch is offline aka Mileɣ
League Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackey__ View Post
imho if you get knocked out on the first round you shouldn't be out for the whole tourny, like maybe have a losers bracket
I know itd be taxing on admins (and the possibility of losing teams not wanting to keep playing) but this would be cool if there was an workable way to implement it. Also less randomish seedings in open/ IM would be siq.

PS i love u sean
Old 19-12-2016, 17:01
Queensland
29 Posts
Steam Profile
+1 for cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchcliff123 View Post
It went well, it would've been nice if you could've run extra servers for practice. And it would be appreciated if someone can setup the relay as shrak didn't reply and obla wasn't available meaning we couldn't cast.
mitchcliff you can't expect the admins that are organising the games/brackets to get the stv for you with zero notice because you got eliminated round 1

if you wanted to stream matches probably dont sign up to play in the cup?

i personally had a very smooth summer cup, but double elimination would be nice for the second one if possible
Old 19-12-2016, 18:34
Auckland
23 Years Old
2,862 Posts
Steam Profile
ozfortressKenneth Kenneth is offline aka TheGooglePlex, AndKenneth
League Administrator
Pls keep on track and remain friendly.

who awoke me from my slumber
Old 19-12-2016, 18:43
Brisbane
374 Posts
Steam Profile
Nobel_Snazzy| scrap.tf Snazzy is offline aka snazzy, splinter, coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
who awoke me from my slumber
please return so i can wave your name around like some diety that causes all problems

e: id didnt play the onc but scrimmed like a few times on the bagel map
its pretty good but i feel like its kinda hard to hold the point effectively, maybe we just hadnt figure out a strat but it seemed like it was easy for them to get in on one side or another and then kinda just hold us near spawn or fight us from high ground near the point while we tried to not die (and failed)
Last edited by Snazzy; 19-12-2016 at 18:47. Reason: didnt want 2 double post
Old 19-12-2016, 19:30
Australia
12 Posts
1. My team gradually learnt to play the map. Turns out its not too bad. Did notice a fat sightline for sniper that can be exposed.
2. Sucks sorta single elim. Possible small brackets and panned out over 2 days?
3. Went thru my teams feedback w Fozzlm I assume he will bring it up? perhaps be a bit stricter on rules n make sure every team is clear on what the rules are.
Old 19-12-2016, 19:33
New Zealand
194 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
e: id didnt play the onc but scrimmed like a few times on the bagel map
its pretty good but i feel like its kinda hard to hold the point effectively, maybe we just hadnt figure out a strat but it seemed like it was easy for them to get in on one side or another and then kinda just hold us near spawn or fight us from high ground near the point while we tried to not die (and failed)
honestly I think an issue with this is that many teams went the wrong way about playing the map.. everyone just assumed "oh koth play it like viaduct" which didnt work out as well due to the map design.

I told my team that when we had won mid, the standard hold was to hold the right corner (with the railing) as the flank watched left door/mid (your combo can also lockout mid door from the right which is a big factor), many teams treated this type of hold as a forward hold instead of a standard hold and found themselves losing mid easily because of it, despite the height ad.

Wether or not this is an issue of bad map design or just teams treating koth as a cookie cutter type of playstyle instead of adapting is something that is higher than my experience in the game tbh (also i didn't watch any prem matches so I don't know if they held the right corner or height ad on mid)
Last edited by Mio; 19-12-2016 at 19:35.
Old 20-12-2016, 17:14
Perth
24 Years Old
67 Posts
Steam Profile
muppet90 muppet is offline aka bnwmuppet, el mupito
keep koth bagel or some other koth because i think its pretty dumb to have like 7-8 possible CP maps that can be played and only one koth map.

more new maps because it stimulates people to think about the game again.

would be nice to somehow have more playtime / closer games. we played 3 maps over 2 hours of which one was a close game - where as if we scrimmed we probably would've had like 4 close maps?

you could potentially designate someone to handle knocked out teams to set up scrims in discord or something, i know the teams could do this themselves but if all the servers are booked it might need admin assistance.

i think seeding the 4th best team in prem as 7th was pretty dumb, im certain theres logs of ginseng beating/coming very close to mad men (2) and xeno(3)? i get that seeding is hard but this aspect sucked for us only having 30 minutes of good tf2.

administrative handling was good and prompt (thanks fozz!)

i know this is semi off topic - but for the record ozfortress servers still suck compared to regular sydney servers, i dont know if this can ever be fixed but im gonna complain anyway that the ACT infinite servers always give loss and like +10-15ms ping vs like a conquer / regular / valve syd server. pretty sure this is true for a lot of gamers from wa / qld / sa / nz over multiple ISPs for whatever reason. as much as im sure people are going to say i should stop complaining etc its actually such a massive difference playing on a server where you aren't experiencing constant loss.
Old 29-12-2016, 01:21
Sydney
730 Posts
Steam Profile
League Director
Please keep these coming, administrators are viewing this carefully and will respond to all feedback at a fitting time.
Old 31-12-2016, 16:21
Hobart
78 Posts
Steam Profile
Just a suggestion as maybe a new map, cp_cargo
Old 14-01-2017, 20:32
Sydney
730 Posts
Steam Profile
League Director
I do owe you guys some responses.

Feedback regarding koth_bagel has been forwarded to the map developer.

It's very hard to have something other than single elimination, mostly due to how small the administration team is. Even at a single elimination level, the workload in the first round is an absolute nightmare. You may suggest that we run it through multiple nights, but we have the issue where some teams may not be available either night and the tournament has a slight breakdown.

For Night 2, we'll open up some of the servers after Round 1 so those who have been knocked out can continue playing if they look in #scrims.

The administration team did a post-Night-1 meeting of what went wrong and what went right, so expect some improvements from that as well.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Cheers.
Old 16-01-2017, 19:51
Melbourne
19 Years Old
75 Posts
Steam Profile
Meguca Meguca is offline aka MrMentalgen
the workload did seem pretty heavy for the admins so well done to you guys for getting it done

I don't exactly know how this could be solved but when matches end in golden cap its often very difficult to make it to the next map on time.

I don't know another way this could be done but this really made scheduling very stressful for myself and it seemed clear it wasn't easy for fozzlm.
Old 16-01-2017, 20:15
New Zealand
194 Posts
Steam Profile
cardinal has so many damn clipping issues everywhere with stuff like stickies being able to be in places they shouldn't(such as inside of walls) and players being able to stand on random places they shouldn't like hovering above buildings and walls around mid, right now the map really isnt in a good state to be played in a league.

also like bagel, I feel the map is so cluttered with random props and jaggys that eat your rocket splash damage
Old 16-01-2017, 20:19
Melbourne
19 Years Old
75 Posts
Steam Profile
Meguca Meguca is offline aka MrMentalgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio View Post
...and players being able to stand on random places they shouldn't like hovering above buildings and walls around mid
I saw some pretty game breaking stuff that needs to be hashed out for sure on that front

I found certain areas were just far too complex, like they weren't meant for 6 people but more. The lobby between second and last is just a death trap and should be simplified more in the style of lunchbox and shutter to the left of granary second. Maybe not like that but it's frustrating taking 20 seconds to check every single corner and hiding spot in that area when you haven't even looked at second or last for your push yet.