Closed Thread
Old 4-04-2011, 23:55
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask A Question Forum
I main scout for a div 4 level team and I tend to have swings of "Oh everything is dying in two shots" and then "Oh I can't hit anything for shit"

For example last night in my game I spent half the game with no kills and next to no damage done as a scout, until I got a med pick as sniper and suddenly it came rushing back. After that I had no trouble dealing with their scouts. It makes it wierder for me that in the game before I was topfragging up there with our demoman.

Are there any ways other scouts get more consistent aim other than practise, pracitse, practise or is there some tips and tricks I'm missing? I'm also sure my movement and general inexperience in the comp setting has something to do with it too (try and flank the combo with no advantage, on flat ground, in the middle of granary courtyard ftw). From what I was told the best scouts get into positions where they cannot miss, even if they have shit aim, I'm pretty sure I'm not at that level yet so that may count for something.

TLDR - Is there a way that I can make my aim more consistent rather than trying to hit shit for 20 minutes, failing, then suddenly getting 10 minutes of meatshot blessing aim?
Old 4-04-2011, 23:56
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet
This thread has some general DM tips for scout which may be a starting point. Also this one on raw technique and this as a guide on scout in general

In summary no magic way to suddenly get great aim other than playing the game (and as you said yourself, looking at getting into situations where you have a better chance of success). But if you're inconsistent for the first 20mins and 'on fire' for the last 10, maybe you need a warm up before hand ?

Also regarding 20mins of bad, followed by 10mins of good...Are you nervous at the start of the game ? Maybe you just need to relax aye . I'm not taking the piss btw. I've noticed some players (in general those newer to comp tf2) at the start of a match they can get varying degrees of nerves (i.e. sometimes you can just hear it in their voice) and that would effect gameplay also. Usually addressed when they play more matches, so "playing a match" isn't so much of an "event". May/may not apply in your situation though.
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Sweet thanks hatchet. I'll take a look at some of this stuff

I had another game tonight and my aim was spot on. I spent an hour trying to survive as much as possible on dustbowl instaspawn beforehand so that probably helped.

I do think it may come down to nervousness. The team we played last night I have played before and know how well their scouts operate. The team last night I had no clue beforehand.
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy
What you describe is common. Alot of good scouts need to warm up their aim.

Their is no secret to what your asking, though if you sensitivity is too high it can be harder to build a consistent aim/muscle memory.
Old 5-04-2011, 15:23
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowt
I really dont believe in muscle memory with scout the aim style

sheep can change his sensitivity rapidly and still have the same aim or very similar

I can do the same thing change my sens and it doesn't matter a whole lot

I think you have to understand your own movement and the other players movement especially as scout its so important for your aim, keyword movement

perhaps your aim was 'good' during that 10 minutes because you were playing well? making the correct decisions based on the situation, having good positioning
Old 5-04-2011, 17:12
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
go!Cole Cole is offline aka geomanis
League Admin
Try to focus on using your movement to make minor tweaks in your aim, and to predict where enemies are going to move towards and pre-emptively aim there, rather than trying to flick directly at them all the time. Perfect example of predictive aiming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2z-LT1ealw
Old 5-04-2011, 22:17
Australia
3,795 Posts
QUACK!Past/Current All-AustralianSteam Profile
povohat.au povohat is offline aka povohat, pvh
Past/Current All-Australian
If you guys ever come up with a solution to consistent aim please let me know. Here are some of my thoughts about aiming.

The idea of using movement to aim is a places a limitation on your ability to do both independently.
The distance of engagement is inversely proportional to the optimal aiming sensitivity.
Enemy scouts can change direction very quickly, which makes tracking with mouse acceleration more difficult than without.
Old 5-04-2011, 22:31
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
go!Cole Cole is offline aka geomanis
League Admin
Players who focus on using movement to help aim struggle with attaining good movement and dodging, while people who focus on moving well might have trouble aiming since their movement is erratic.

Low sensitivity helps with duels from a longer distance, while high sensitivity helps with duels at close range. iirc people who scouted against eko tried to duel with him at close range or jump over his head since he had low sensitivity, but i might be wrong.

Can't really comment on mouse accel, since i don't use it. But i assume that what you are saying is that if a person changes direction while you are tracking them, you will reflexively move your mouse in the other direction, which without mouse accel wouldn't be too challenging to track the enemy, but with mouse accel it'll move a lot further than you wanted since you are moving your mouse really fast? Is that what you mean?

If so all valid statements.
Old 5-04-2011, 23:12
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowt
perhaps your aim was 'good' during that 10 minutes because you were playing well? making the correct decisions based on the situation, having good positioning
Quote:
I'm on the verge of saying its that. When I'm on the offensive I tend to aim and kill a lot more. defensive and waiting for them to push I play poorly. Last night against a weaker team i was aiming like a boss.
when getting stomped I'm aiming like a janitor. Confidence. Must work on it.

I've been told to check out some demos from sheep and subtitled to see how they play. Will do that now.
Old 5-04-2011, 23:12
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rep
Don't change your aim style if you find it natural. goRe had the exact aim that bowt was saying not to use and his aim shat on sheeps and his.
If you have that sort of aim, muscle memory around maps.

If you use the predictive aim, try to just work on timing your shots and movement.. not much more to it
Old 6-04-2011, 00:30
Adelaide
10,628 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
foxy•Darien#c0g Darien is offline aka darienphoenix
Super Moderator
Warmup and experience.

Back when I used to play solly frequently, I needed a good half hour warmup before I could hit the broad side of a barn with my shotgun. You'll learn with time how much warmup you need, and you'll also get better at dealing with nerves as you get more experienced and matches aren't such a big deal.

You also need to realise when your aim is off and play accordingly - don't keep trying to 1v1 their scouts if you're having an off night. Play smart.
Old 6-04-2011, 13:07
Australia
318 Posts
Team Red VeteranSteam Profile
I always play at least 30 mins of MGE or dogz_crate before matches to warm up, my aim is always much more consistent (and nerves lessened) than if I jump in cold..
Old 11-04-2011, 04:30
Australia
26 Years Old
353 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomanis View Post
iirc people who scouted against eko tried to duel with him at close range or jump over his head since he had low sensitivity, but i might be wrong.
That's what I first thought to try when we started MGE dueling for hogz warmup / dm prac, but he's got the puretrak talent so he's got plenty of space to flick the mouse across the entire pad - it doesn't work... unless he cbf with the effort at the time

-----

Back on topic, like Rep said, everyone seems to have their own way of doing things, and different people will tell you you're doing it wrong. Find what works for you and try and stick with it. Unfortunately this is easier said than done - if I'm having a bad night I tend to try changing up how I'm aiming with varying success, and I often go through 2-3 month cycles for mouse settings (sensitivity, accel on/off), which I try changing after having a bad aim night and raging at myself - it's not ideal, and don't go changing these things unless you're consistently aiming bad and/or feel uncomfortable with your current settings / method of aiming.

I'm really getting into the habbit lately of changing how I'm playing rather than how I'm aiming depending on my aim on any given night. For example on a night with shit aim I'll try and be less aggressive, chasing less kills on higher HP opponents, not playing as far forward and either engaging in DMs with an increased advantage (HP, position) or team assistance. Sometimes I just back off and stick with assists and easy frags, or tag along with Tommy and call him over to help me out. Keep in mind these things are still pretty situational though.

tl;dr: Don't change your aiming style or mouse settings without being confident they're causing bad aim or making you uncomfortable. Try playing more or less aggressively/defensively based on your aim at any given time.

Disclaimer: Please note that this is my first post in the mentoring section (AFAI recall), and I'm not implying I'm at that level, I merely feel I've grappled with this issue long enough myself that I can offer a little insight. Admins feel free to delete my post if this is misplaced.
This is not professional advice etc etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59
Australia
25 Years Old
5,348 Posts
QUACK!
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
yuki.au yuki is offline aka Yuki
Past/Current All-Australian
state of mind
Old 15-04-2011, 23:15
Finland
1,860 Posts
Steam Profile
eko eko is offline aka eko, ekola cherry, pithög
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomanis View Post
Low sensitivity helps with duels from a longer distance, while high sensitivity helps with duels at close range. iirc people who scouted against eko tried to duel with him at close range or jump over his head since he had low sensitivity, but i might be wrong.
dueling was what I was better at, dumb decisions and my position is where I got raped.
- it was my awareness and ability to turn around and notice things that killed my overall game.

Work on where you are in relation and aim wont be all it's cracked up to be. Try to get comfortable and play to your strengths. If you feel you're playing better aggressively, try working with your team by playing off who is dealing damage and the situation you're in. just dont rambo like I use to.

queue bowt, solus, rep, some other idiot talking shit.

I wasn't as good as I would harp on about, but I've realised my mistakes and how my position was incredibly shit. However as of late, it's the first thing I work on. Not everything can be perfect but it's a start.

I use a medium sens with mouse accel. Who knew!?
Old 20-04-2011, 04:13
Brisbane
855 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
queue bowt, solus, rep, some other idiot talking shit.
Can't recall shit talking before. See this is why I didn't buy you a big mac at spadebox meetup.
Last edited by Solus; 20-04-2011 at 04:15.
Old 20-04-2011, 12:51
Finland
1,860 Posts
Steam Profile
eko eko is offline aka eko, ekola cherry, pithög
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus View Post
Can't recall shit talking before. See this is why I didn't buy you a big mac at spadebox meetup.
i recall some things solus :P mostly at that meetup haha. you and i both bantering.
Old 26-04-2011, 20:28
Australia
25 Years Old
1,487 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
if you're in div 4 I am gonna assume that you're new to tf2, my only advice would be don't get too hung up about it, yes it is good to try and assess what you're doing wrong but just keep in mind that everything takes time so don't expect to read what everyone has said and suddenly be awesome.
Read what people are saying and take it on board but just keep in mind that it will take time for you to understand and master what everyone has said, so don't get disappointed if it doesn't happen over night.
Old 5-05-2011, 21:28
Australia
171 Posts
Steam Profile
Don't go into panic mode while trying to aim, take it easy and take your time while trying to meat shot each shot. You'll get faster at doing it naturally over time.
Closed Thread