?

Closed Thread
Old 2-10-2010, 10:03
Australia
36,557 Posts
Steam Profile
vR*valk valk is offline aka valk, va
Learning Tf2:
It is with a sadness, as I slowly watch the community become more and more death match orientated. This guide is in a hope to try and show many of you the way or remove many of the excuses with which you lie to your team, in regards to getting better.

Lets kick off shall we.

The first two things that need to looked at is individual improvement and team-wide improvement, each go hand in hand and you are rather limited on both sides of the coin if either are bad. You can’t get better as a player or as a team if you have players that aren’t contributing to rollouts/pushes/holds and are creating gaps and weaknesses in your game.

Trying to improve individually or as a team when the players aren’t playing properly is very difficult and few have been able to rise above it. This is because from what I’ve seen are that these players begin to develop bad “adaption’s” to the players in their teams, they try to compensate for the weaknesses in their team. They overextend or play to passive based on what the situation is, what class isn’t contributing.

I’ve seen players who should be playing at a level higher than what they are, but say as a demoman for example they’ve always lacked proper scout support and thus lacked confidence on rollouts and are easily pressured by worse demoman, or on the flip side play far too aggressive and overextend to try and increase the amount of damage being done due to not enough soldier/scout support. These things apply to both individual and team work improvement, everyone needs to be trying to contribute and play their roles properly for you to be truly get better.

Note: I don’t want to fly too off-track, but I feel as though I should give a brief description in regards to what I mean by contribution. What I mean by contributing is that they are either putting out damage or facilitating damage done. This takes many forms, negating scouts, pressuring.etc the list goes on.
One other thing, this should not be interperted as replacing players from your team with “good” players; often times “good” players that haven’t played at a decent level of tf2 are really just retards with good death match and only stand out because they are compensating for a weakness in their former team. As such play a very desperate and flamboyant game that sees them pick up a lot of kills.

Which can really open your game up to exploitation against a smart team, scouts for example playing exteremely aggressive, can countered on a rollout and then the demoman is rather exposed. So if you plan on bringing a new player in, see how they contribute to your team through demos and if possible dig up other games they have played with other teams. Otherwise stick with the guys you’ve got and work on getting better together.

So what should the focus be as a team when looking to improve?
Two things, each player’s role and how they contribute. Each player should know what they are looking to do on every rollout, push and hold. This doesn’t mean “railroading” your team with very specific strats, but knowing what each player aims to achieve. On a typical granary second push, your soldiers are looking pressure the opposition in courtyard, the demoman is there to pick up on the pressure applied and put down damage and the scouts are looking to cut out flanking scouts whilst support their heavies, the objective is to push them out of courtyard or kill them. This is looking at the game from a very vague state of things and should be the focus of most teams looking to develop early on.

You should look at these attempted rollouts/pushes/holds looking for players who aren’t doing enough and could do more, where things can be improved and provide general suggestion together as a group. It can’t be stressed enough how important it is to go over these things and don’t play the blame game, the purpose of this is to develop game understanding. Being able to articulate what’s going on allows you to grow as individual players and as a team, it’s that learning thing those div1 guys are always talking about. As you progress you can develop rollouts/pushes/holds with more depth. This takes the form of having a better idea of each other’s roles and what you seek to achieve, such as holding here or jumping there works as it allows me to apply more pressure.etc.

Note: Try to avoid rigidly specific strats or sticking to them, you can’t tactically plan out everything, nor is it wise to stick players to very specific ideas of what they can and can’t do, I’ve seen a fair few players even at a div1 level who have fucked up because they have stuck to the letter of a strat when far better options are available to them through some simple change ups on the fly, because the opposition has changed something up . It’s pretty much shooting yourself in the foot, the other team adapts and you don’t and if you follow a trend of just playing off rigid strats, you ability to adapt will obviously be hampered and you’ll get smashed.

How do I improve as an individual player?
Mostly it ties into ensuring you play your role as consistently as possible, ensuring you are providing the proper support to your team for any scenario. Then with the rest of the time you go back and look at it once again, trying to improve your own execution as you go. Look at that execution see what you are doing wrong, say for example a soldier is messing up heaps and holding back the team, what he should do is go well my rocket jumping is weak, I’m not chasing advantage with my other heavies and I’m not playing aware enough of the other players on my teams positioning. What he would then do is pick an aspect, say rocket jumping or awareness and his focus would to hammer out one aspect at a time, every scrim he would be going, alright I need to keep a clear idea of what the other players on my team are doing. Eventually it should become a passive non-thinking ability, in which you don’t have to actively think about it, and then you move onto the next part of your game.

Too many players try to improve their entire game as a whole, but unfortunately it just isn’t a very quick method nor very effective for most. A lot of players get lost in the “I need to get better” broadness of their approach, aren’t able to focus on any particular aspect and progress is slow as a result. Also doing it bit by bit provides you with a good idea of your progression as a player and it’s easily identifiable when looking at improvements in your game. When I play for example, I sit there now and go well I could be doing more on that badlands rollout, I would then preceed to look at my game, why it isn’t working and try to come up with ideas, if I don’t have any I confer with others and/or look at international players.

There is also another part each players game know as the “micro” part of the game, in which are the smaller actions players take to improve consistency in any/all aspects of their game, such as ammo management, positioning and certain other actions/behaviours/patterns. You’ll see high level players, putting themselves in certain areas to fight, certain movements, how they use their weapons and a myriad of other things, people have developed from experience looking at their own game and problems. So this one of the other reasons people watch demos/stvs of high level players! So watch why and what they achieve through those actions and if they suit you incorporate them into your own skill sets and eventually if you become good enough then you start doing it yourself.

Closing thoughts stuff goes here:
Note: Don’t think about or care about your fucking aim, Jesus Christ. You just psych yourself out and miss those shots because of it, just think about playing the game and what you need achieve and aim will come.

Hopefully this will help to provide some detail behind “learning” TF2, since what most players say is “watch demos/stvs to get better” with very little elaboration on the topic at all. It spins me out how many “competitive” clans there are, that don’t actually make any real effort to improve, but yet perpetrate the premise that they are.

PS. This was prompted due to all the discussions on learning after the grand final and I thought I might have a crack at it.

PPS. That commFT scout shit, it is horrible, please remove it from the bloody forums, it cause me to projectile vomit all over the Dignitas tf2 cards.

PPPS: Sorry for the late up, didn’t get around to it for awhile(has been finished for ages).

- posted by Anonymous
11:17 PM - yuri: vr are better than d because d dont play matches
Old 2-10-2010, 10:22
Australia
646 Posts
Soldier medalSteam Profile
interesting but really long read
Old 2-10-2010, 13:24
Australia
71 Posts
Steam Profile
NOSERSubtlethe team Subtle is offline aka Subtle, Guerrilla
Good read might need to use the advice given in it :S
:P
Old 2-10-2010, 13:40
Australia
24 Years Old
5,347 Posts
QUACK!
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
yuki.au yuki is offline aka Yuki
Past/Current All-Australian
YUKARI

disregard this post, i was excited
Old 2-10-2010, 13:51
Adelaide
27 Years Old
4,507 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
wpTomSawyer TomSawyer is offline aka Big_Dave
Semi-Retired League Admin
Yep, very good read..

Be interested to know what he is referring to with "PPS. That commFT scout shit, it is horrible, please remove it from the bloody forums, it cause me to projectile vomit all over the Dignitas tf2 cards. "
Old 2-10-2010, 22:43
Australia
755 Posts
Steam Profile
iMle_420_princeintel le_420_prince is offline aka epic, stomash, Radical!
this reeks of russian vodka, well done arkady
Old 2-10-2010, 23:45
Australia
25 Years Old
1,010 Posts
QUACK!Team Red VeteranSteam Profile
khao khao is offline aka Khao, SKP
impressive post yukari, you managed to keep it to ~1000 words. congrats
Old 2-10-2010, 23:48
Australia
316 Posts
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
Past/Current All-Australian
I am too busy being nerdy in a Deus Ex Pacifist speed run to write things like this.

(Honestly wasn't the writer of this btw)
Last edited by HaXxorIzed; 3-10-2010 at 04:02.
Old 3-10-2010, 00:16
Australia
4,393 Posts
Steam Profile
madjackhas the fever madjack is offline aka Jakeinabox, mad jack, gunjack
League Admin
thats why you multitask
Old 3-10-2010, 00:27
Adelaide
1,463 Posts
Steam Profile
big noob --->Kaiza<--- big noob Kaiza is offline aka Kaiza, Mute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
Yep, very good read..

Be interested to know what he is referring to with "PPS. That commFT scout shit, it is horrible, please remove it from the bloody forums, it cause me to projectile vomit all over the Dignitas tf2 cards. "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opJMTfataIA

?
Old 3-10-2010, 03:29
Australia
31 Years Old
1,060 Posts
Steam Profile
UntitledThe Sneaky Scotsman The Sneaky Scotsman is offline aka Sneak
Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Closing thoughts stuff goes here:
Note: Don’t think about or care about your fucking aim, Jesus Christ. You just psych yourself out and miss those shots because of it, just think about playing the game and what you need achieve and aim will come.

Wasn't Yukari!?

THEN WHO THE FUCK WOULD WRITE THIS MUCH!?!?
Last edited by The Sneaky Scotsman; 3-10-2010 at 06:24.
Old 3-10-2010, 04:01
Australia
755 Posts
Steam Profile
hi good shooting mumble

we're trying to solve this mystery

so far on the shortlist: khao
Old 3-10-2010, 04:19
Australia
4,393 Posts
Steam Profile
madjackhas the fever madjack is offline aka Jakeinabox, mad jack, gunjack
League Admin
advancing sub as potential author
Old 3-10-2010, 04:50
Australia
4,498 Posts
QUACK!
MentorSteam Profile
ozfortressferelah ferelah is offline aka Feresar
League Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jack View Post
advancing sub as potential author

nope

also, the dignitas reference is to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HtuV2K8E7w

hay blog
Old 3-10-2010, 10:25
Australia
488 Posts
Steam Profile
vsn.panda panda is offline aka hipoy, pedopanda, panda, pand♡
but them cards are so cool.
Old 3-10-2010, 22:57
Australia
599 Posts
Steam Profile
solo solo is offline aka Basketweaver, Basket, bskt
Prime was destined for greatness as soon as he had decent scouts, think the first time i noticed him destroy mid was his first match in cage, good days.
Old 5-10-2010, 00:18
Australia
83 Years Old
520 Posts
Steam Profile
I wrote this hey, or am I a proxy for yukari! You decide.
Old 5-10-2010, 02:41
Australia
755 Posts
Steam Profile
stop being modest yukari
Old 5-10-2010, 02:41
Australia
755 Posts
Steam Profile
both gee and yukari's writing styles are identical

i guess we will never know
Old 5-10-2010, 07:02
Australia
10,728 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
i wrote it, give me props
73% of the population were involved in some form of recall stabilisation program, to compensate for unquantifiable consciousness anomalies. Unlike most people, he knew exactly where he'd find the answers.
Old 5-10-2010, 07:27
Australia
31 Years Old
1,060 Posts
Steam Profile
UntitledThe Sneaky Scotsman The Sneaky Scotsman is offline aka Sneak
Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
i wrote it, give me props

props given...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6-eUzGFH-4