United States
29 Years Old
5,197 Posts
QUACK!
MentorSteam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask a Question Forum
One problem that I have as demo is that I don't know what to do when a soldier bombs me. My question is, should I try to middy him with pipes? Should I middy him with stickies? Should I just put stickies where I think he is going to land? Or, should I ignore him and let my team deal with it?
Old 21-01-2013, 14:21
United States
29 Years Old
5,197 Posts
QUACK!
MentorSteam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy View Post
*not a demoman*

If i had pipes out i would try and middie him.
If i had stickies out i would sticky where he lands.
I doubt you realistically have time to choose between the two if someone is coming down on you fast.

As for the issue of whether to focus or ignore the soldier, that is separate and a lot more complex/situational. Most likely you will have to target someone bombing you or die (not as good), however ideally this should never be the case. The demoman should mostly be focusing his attention where he can do the most immediate damage (usually combo/looking forward/chokes). In a rollout situation where you are getting bombed consistently, think more about how you can alter your positioning to avoid the bomber or at least make the bomber easier for your allies to help you deal with (eg on badlands moving forward rather than back across point, or eg on granary moving behind and close to the crates, or high).
Old 21-01-2013, 14:21
United States
29 Years Old
5,197 Posts
QUACK!
MentorSteam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
All of the above, though it can often depend on playstyle. Pipes are always hit and miss, and you can only have 4 of them loaded at a time. Meanwhile stickies can be just as strong, you can midair with them anyway, albeit not as damaging as a pipe midair (and you have 8 loaded) and you'll also be ready to fight other enemies at midrange if you have your stickies out already. You can also just crouchjump away and sticky the floor like a mega homo (re: the thing that most demoman do these days), but whatever works I guess.

It's also always good for you to damage them BEFORE they jump (eg, sticky valley on badlands, or sticky right/gap/crate/etc on granary), as if you deter them, then they either jump on low hp or don't jump at all.