?

Old 20-04-2012, 14:56
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask A Question Forum
Often when we play granary we lose our demo to aggressive scouts targeting him across the point. I play pocket and when I reach mid in this situation I target their scouts as soon as I arrive. Also, when they have aggressive scouts we always have our scouts support our demo to try and keep him alive. When this situation occurs 1 of 3 things usually happen:

1) we lose our demo very early and lose mid quickly
2) we kill both scouts but lose position to their demo who comes across the point and deals a lot more damage then our demo and we lose mid
3) we kill both scouts early and win mid convincingly

So, a concise question. How can we protect our demo better in this situation and allow him to do good damage?
Old 20-04-2012, 14:56
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
Demoman presticky where the scout(s) come from.

Get one scout to play point

Boom.

A scout will 100% +forward your demoman unless he is deterred. A sticky in the face is the best deterrent.
Old 20-04-2012, 14:57
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy
There's alot of things going on here to mention so ill try and give them some semblance of order based on your question.

If you feel that you are losing roll-outs on the back off scouts rushing your demoman then sending the demoman to balcony will immediately negate this. There is likely more going on than just this that is causing defeat.

If your demoman is rolling out normally on granary and dying early than the mistake is likely one of the following, in order of importance.
- The demoman is taking fall damage on his jumps to mid, arriving too low
- Scouts arn't taking up positions on the rollout to track potential enemy scout rushes and be able to deal with it if needed.
- The demoman's positioning is poor and he get caught out too far, or cannont aim sitckies at charging scouts

By scout positions its not just enough to have a set path to middle, its about them thinking about where opponent scouts (and others) are and reacting if something is missing. 1 scout balcony checking left and middle and 1 scout lower right covering right and right T-junction is one of many possible configurations, but the net result should be that enemy scouts cannont get onto the demoman/health pack without running through at least 1 scout's defensive meatshots.

While 1) and 3) are fairly self explanatory i find it curious you sight 2) as a common occurrence, because trading 2 scouts for 1 demoman is not a favorable exchange. Treat this sort of scout rush as you would a bombing 2ndary soldier, but with more downside should it fail. If you can fend it off without over reacting to it you are a long way ahead. And once you have killed the scouts but are in a tight position it is easy to retreat and repush after healing up, using your 2 scout advantage to swarm the enemy.

There is very little soldiers can do to protect your demoman initially. The Primary needs to juggle his ammo rescources well between dealing with immediate threats and potential follow-up threats (such as their demoman pushing across). The roamer should be using counter aggression to prevent the likely-hood of said follow up threats. Soldiers should focus on keeping control of the crates through the fight.

I generally find as pocket soldier that i wont be firing rockets at the 'threatening' scout so long as i have the potential to do so if he gets overly confident. If a scout does rush, 2 passing rockets down on your demoman will almost always be enough to cripple them such that ally scout assistance can finish them off. Any more attention (ammo, or dropping down off your crate) is probably the wrong call as it gives up too much map control. To stress again, as pocket you have to make your rockets count so don't wildly spew them off.

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Try rushing both your scouts across the point at their demoman on a roll-out, the net result will either be traded demomen or (more likely) scouts meet each other with matched point aggression, both demoman survive as normal and your team isn't at an immediate momentum disadvantage
Old 20-04-2012, 14:57
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowt
maybe you can try going catwalk

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop