Closed Thread
Old 21-12-2011, 11:48
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask A Question Forum
I've noticed recently my aim as a solider is relatively poor and after asking various people i'm receiving mixed opinions on how to fix it. My solider rocket aim tends to be reasonably poor with my shotgun being quite decent. I tend to rely off splash damage a lot with rockets and rarely hit directs on people.

Firstly I'm confused as a solider where I should actually aim?
  1. Should I be aiming for directs? So I can achieve maximum damage
  2. At the feet of the opponent so as to send him into the air?
  3. Splash damage (i doubt I'm suposed to do this but it's possible some people may use it)
How to help improve my aim?
To fix my aim i have been told to play a lot of mge. However I have also been told that mge will only fix my dm and not my aim and to instead play lots of pub.

So what is the best way to fix my aim ?
And also supposing mge is the answer what maps in mge do you recommend i play?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this question has already been asked many times by other players.
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
http://ozfortress.com/showthread.php?t=45706 "the primary soldier"
http://ozfortress.com/showthread.php?t=44931 "scout aim" (but applies to any class really)

Read these first.

If after those you STILL want some advice - i advise you to work on your game (namely game sense/understanding) more before you start worrying about your aim. There are almost no players that have good aim and can just play off that in a high level team (I guess you can say sheep at the start was like that but it was different having someone like bowt coordinate most of the teams actions) but even so the point still stands.

I've said this time and time again - people need to stop thinking about their aim so much. You don't REALLY think you're going to aim like TLR or anything with ~50 hours (as indicated by your profile, could have more for all i know). Just have confidence in your play and you are sure to hit the shots you NEED to (it's a different thing to hit the shots that need to be shot, it's another to be flashy).

Hitting shots is situational - you want to be generally hitting players on their feet so you can bounce them - this allows you to "Juggle" them and follow up with either a well placed airshot, a shotgun in the air, or allows you to predict and control their movement easier and shoot them as they land (this is mainly in ubers/general combat).

If you aren't straight up brawling people (eg during ubers, etc) you're going to be aiming for spam shots: try shooting common spots (Eg near medkits, gaps between crates in granary, etc) to make it easier to do damage - there's next to no chance in hell that you will hit a direct from the top of left crate on granary to the other side.

If you REALLY want to go the mge route then play ammomod [mge]. Allows you to practice ground aim which is the most important aiming area for soldiers, and if you want to go for airshots you can juggle them on that map pretty easily.

TL;DR,

*don't worry about your aim so much especially when you have little hours - worry more about improving your understanding of the game and game sense

*have confidence in your ability to frag, if you will it to happen there's a good chance it will

*types of shots are situational, adapt your spam/shooting/whatever pattern to the situation at hand

*if you want to mge, play ammomod [mge]
Last edited by TomSawyer; 18-07-2013 at 10:27.
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy
shoot the floor

People in pub have terrible movement so they are muh easier to hit.

Good aim is about good movement prediction, rockets are the obvious example of this
Old 21-12-2011, 11:59
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXxorIzed
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=285603

Read this article and in particular read what they have to say about Stephano - a player with exceptional ability despite having unfavourable training conditions and opponents.

To build on what yuki and this article said, Routine helps build a healthy mindset. It's good to play as much as possible, but it's even better to have a regular routine that lets you play a lot.

Consistency starts with your mindset and your practice time. If you don't' feel it's enough, don't panic and be a spastoid, look at your routine, your process, and change it where appropriate.
Old 21-12-2011, 15:44
Finland
1,860 Posts
Steam Profile
eko eko is offline aka eko, ekola cherry, pithög
Banned
I found this video to be easily the most helpful thing i've ever seen regarding a single class:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJs9qOr5D10
Old 21-12-2011, 16:48
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
go!Cole Cole is offline aka geomanis
League Admin
So many walls of text, dunno why he couldn't just cut out unnecessary verbs, nouns and adjectives to make it more readable without constant pauses.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:08
Australia
888 Posts
Attended ozfLANSteam Profile
-A-amd amd is offline aka amd_, amD
League Admin
I can't really add much but the little i can add is to make sure you are always thinking about positioning as this can have a large impact on your aim.