?

Old 9-05-2010, 17:24
Blue Mountains
25 Years Old
3,614 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
i think audio commentary would be better than listening to comms.

comms are very straight forward, just don't clutter make sure everyone is awake and realising when you are getting player deaths on either side, and then just have people to spot/recall advantages/disadvantages i think.

if there were commentary, then we would understand what bowt would be thinking at each position and what his team would do to counter any situations
Old 9-05-2010, 17:26
Christchurch
28 Years Old
332 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by keycard View Post
all of eg's stuff if im right?
There was also some stuff from TCM in there a while back. Also there is Jaegers commentaries of other peoples demos which are quite good.
Old 9-05-2010, 17:56
Australia
25 Years Old
918 Posts
Steam Profile
apz apz is offline aka AppleSource, aps, apz, ozfortress idiot guy
Banned
no it was from team loaded which is coL now
Old 9-05-2010, 22:59
Australia
798 Posts
Steam Profile
yoona#fog yoona is offline aka Chop Man, keycard, _yoona, ssor, k_ng
Banned
still all useful for teams
Old 10-05-2010, 11:51
Australia
36,557 Posts
Steam Profile
vR*valk valk is offline aka valk, va
something like this would be sweet too
http://www.livestream.com/squidearn

basically a live stream (+recording) from a personal view, with mumble (+recording)
11:17 PM - yuri: vr are better than d because d dont play matches
Old 10-05-2010, 13:28
Perth
1,789 Posts
Steam Profile
MAD DOG‌‌‌ rep! rep is offline aka rep```
Banned
I thought the point of watching other peoples demos was to figure out why someone did something for yourself and to evaluate the effectiveness of the play. In order for demos to be effective, you must remain objective. An audio commentary in my opinion would be very subjective and thus lose it's value.

My thoughts anyway...
Old 10-05-2010, 15:02
Australia
24 Years Old
5,347 Posts
QUACK!
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
yuki.au yuki is offline aka Yuki
Past/Current All-Australian
rep has a point (+1)

eg if the person doing the commentary was saying that "i wouldn't do x in this situation" then some would be like "oh, ok". But you're always experimenting in this game, and doing x may give you the advantage you need, despite how unorthodox it may seem.

analysing what someone was doing and why is a skill you have to develop eventually.
Last edited by yuki; 10-05-2010 at 15:04.
Old 10-05-2010, 16:21
United States
29 Years Old
5,197 Posts
QUACK!
MentorSteam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rep``` View Post
I thought the point of watching other peoples demos was to figure out why someone did something for yourself and to evaluate the effectiveness of the play. In order for demos to be effective, you must remain objective. An audio commentary in my opinion would be very subjective and thus lose it's value.

My thoughts anyway...
I think this is akin to saying a classroom teacher only reduces the value of a textbook. Or a tour guide reduces the value of a piece of art. Perhaps it hold true in some instances on stinting the opinions via authority, but generally it is still very productive to enhance your own learning.

The objective of an audio commentary is more about using the specific situation as an example to gain insight into the basic thought processes on a higher tier player to point others in the right direction about how they could analyze many other situations.

Futhermore if we assume the mentor is at least somewhat competant, the poisoned agreeable viewer would probably still gain alot from emulating the situation better than they ever would, and the discerning player would be able to draw the opinion as one of many sources of idea.
Old 10-05-2010, 22:31
Australia
24 Years Old
5,347 Posts
QUACK!
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
yuki.au yuki is offline aka Yuki
Past/Current All-Australian
dw m8c ill do a commentary 4 u

(not, i don't kno how 2 play game lah)
Old 15-09-2011, 23:40
Melbourne
33 Years Old
281 Posts
Steam Profile
Great article on calling from Fish via VanillaTF2

http://www.vanillatf2.org/2011/09/as...-1/#more-19230

here's a snip:
Quote:
Who should call?

It is interesting to see who calls in different teams. I call as a medic which has never bothered me. But to the newer medics out there I would focus around getting yourself to a level before you try to start calling. A soldier can call, there is no reason why not, the pocket is probably best to call though as he is closer to the medic and can track things like medic health. Demo could call and of course byte in TCM calls and does a pretty solid job. I would not advise that a demo calls, for the sheer amount of buttons that he already has to press. For the point of this article I play medic and I will be giving advice from that point of view.
Old 22-09-2011, 20:29
Melbourne
33 Years Old
281 Posts
Steam Profile
http://www.vanillatf2.org/2011/09/as...anced-calling/
Old 14-12-2011, 16:48
Australia
3 Posts
Steam Profile
Thanks for tbis helpful info I know this will help me and my mates TF2 Experience.