?

Old 9-08-2014, 16:49
Sydney
1,534 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
nv.Biomang Biomang is offline aka Bioman
Columnist
So I have been playing a bunch of rogue like games recently, basically to prepare my anus for the next POE league. I have probably picked up about 10 new games all rogue like, there have been some that really stand out and need to be played by more people. I have spent hours on these games at work and uni, they are all easy on the computer and have tons of re-playability.

One of the best I have played in a long time, it is the Audiosurf of Rogue-likes. Its probably best to just see what its like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz49oOslwAk
This game involves moving to the beat of the music. There is a turn every beat where monster and yourself can move, monsters move in certain patterns like chess. The game is simple and addictive and has some of the greatest game soundtracks by the same guy as Super Meat Boy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfJ...xtzItaTyMBqTCj
The games $15 on steam and is easily worth it. It is still technically in early access alpha but there are no bugs and feels like a complete game, the developers are just adding new monsters, weapon types and floors to the game still. More people need to play this game!

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
The game is completely free and updated frequently.
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads
This is the one I have easily spent the most time on, this game has so many different options, 27 different races, 26 different classes, 20 Gods to pray to and ridiculous amounts of weapons, monsters and more. It is the ultimate rogue-like and I can't get enough of this, if you are a fan of rogue-likes and don't think graphics are everything then download this game right now. The game does have a pretty steep learning curve, I highly recommend having the wiki open while playing for help clarifying things. You should also get a hang of the key-bindings to make the game easier, O and TAB are your friend. The game is open source and people have been working on it for years. This game is the greatest to play while at work or traveling.

I am sure most people know of or have at least heard of this one, its a very toned down and new player friendly rogue-like which doesn't try to focus on tons of different stats and skills or leveling, its simply and entertaining. If you are new to rogue-likes this is a good choice to start with, you can start playing straight away and don't need to read pages of wikipedia articles to understand what exactly is the difference between dodging, reflexes and evasion. It has lots of items to unlock for further progression and is surprisingly long and difficult at times. Last time I checked this game is under 5 bucks on steam and easily worth it with tons of re playability like any rogue like.

A platform based rogue-like that is a little more unforgiving and kind of throws you in the deep end in terms of difficulty. Its very simply like Binding's Of Isaac but starts off much harder, requiring you to put in a bit of time building up your character by dying multiple times until you have enough money for some useful upgrades. I love this games humor and its simple positive and negative trait character builder. Your character might be a Gay, Midget with Vertigo, meaning you can avoid things easier but your play the game upside down, you also like the company of men over women. This game is probably for people who are more familiar with platform games and would like to add a bit of a challenge and some RPG elements to it.
Last edited by Biomang; 10-08-2014 at 19:27.
Old 9-08-2014, 20:39
Melbourne
652 Posts
Steam Profile
budsadgasm sadgasm is offline aka Sadgasm, Columbine, Lithium, sadgasm, sad, sad machine, sunny boi
DCSS is great fun _b
Old 9-08-2014, 21:10
Sydney
1,534 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
nv.Biomang Biomang is offline aka Bioman
Columnist
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgasm View Post
DCSS is great fun _b
My Troll Warper of Chebraidos just got butt raped by 10 dire elephants =(
Having 43 strength at lvl 12 is apparently not enough.
Last edited by Biomang; 9-08-2014 at 21:12.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19
Perth
332 Posts
Steam Profile
gonna try out DCSS, will report back later

nice write up Bio