holy fuck my last convo with him

"Thursday, August 28, 2014
layzie: i have a new pc
layzie: and it wont let me join a server
layzie: says i am missing w_grenade.mdl
Spector: google it
"

I don't think he tried to play again after that. fuck I feel awful
He sent me photos of his new setup, which is what shocked me on Saturday night.. I talked to him on Thursday and tried arranging a LAN @ his place (like old times) but he said he had his daughter this weekend.. so sad

Thanks for all of the replies guys, really shows how much this person was loved; Both online and offline.

That w_grenade.mdl error can be fixed by un-checking something in the video menu btw. Wish I could've told him that last night after trying to figure it out for about 30 mins myself..
Last edited by Deathlord; 1-09-2014 at 13:40.
Old 1-09-2014, 13:45
Australia
2,047 Posts
Rikta Rikta is offline aka Ricco
Sad news im sorry to hear.
Quant was imo 1 of the best all round players in aus.

To this day i still remember some of the rants and trolling as such in irc very funny man and he stood up for what he believed in and stood up for his team.

He will be missed.
Pass on our wishes DL.

P.s bext time im in tfc ill load my quantum abuse cfg just for old time sake
Old 1-09-2014, 13:45
Australia
52 Years Old
1,697 Posts
Ironically the last time we chatted on steam a couple of weeks ago it was about buying that new pc - and we talked about getting it at MSY and I rambled on about the merits of a 64bit OS. I was happy that he thought to ask me if I had any views on the topic. On reflection I think back in the day he and i helped each other realise that we shouldn't take TFC so seriously ( i think that was a work in progress for both of us though ) as we overcame a bit of drama in |E4E|.
Old 1-09-2014, 13:46
Brisbane
34 Years Old
1,945 Posts
Steam Profile
RIP layz, very sad news, definitely hits home to ask a mate RUOK
Old 1-09-2014, 14:16
Australia
292 Posts
hmm, i know its only a small gesture, but donating to beyond blue - who have a partnership with Ozfortress, might be a really proactive way to pay tribute to Shayne

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/
Old 1-09-2014, 14:24
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
^ I'd be all for that Vamp. Fantastic idea mate
Old 1-09-2014, 14:33
Australia
32 Years Old
11,695 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
Columnist
as baf suggested - we could potentially setup a page for him to raise awareness and pay tribute using something like http://everydayhero.com.au/ and donating to beyondblue as vampz posted above.
Old 1-09-2014, 14:54
Sydney
30 Years Old
961 Posts
Steam Profile
Hi everyone,
Words can't describe how devastating it is to wake up to news like this. Just to put things in to perspective, Shayne and I spoke on and off for over a decade. unfortunately, in recent years we've gone off and pursued our own things but will always be mates.

Shayne came across to people as sometimes rigid. Let me just say, had you ever been in trouble and needed someone in your corner. He would be the first person to come to mind. He always put others issues and stresses above his own. Finding friends like that in any form is rare. (Ivan, we are all here for you having known him in person and your loss is incomparable)

I was thinking the other day, why not come on and see who's around... (This was literally a week ago) I second guessed it and thought... Nope, the game was a part of my life for so long, the people are fantastic but i don't want to go back there.

Possibly the worst train of thought I've had because it may have been the last chance I'd have in speaking to Shayne. Sometimes when you lose contact with mates, it's always worth dropping by because you never know how it will affect you when one day they're not there. I regret that.

I know Shayne has always had his battles. Unfortunately professional help in Australia isn't an option due to the expense for most. Theres only so much counselors and friends and family can do. Such a sad loss, I really can't portray how saddened I am by it.

You will be missed mate!
Old 1-09-2014, 16:33
New Zealand
1,137 Posts
Steam Profile
Infect-.elclassico Infect- is offline aka Infectious
wow for real??? what the fuck. RIP Layzie....
Old 1-09-2014, 17:02
Sydney
33 Years Old
689 Posts
Steam Profile
smiley smiley is offline aka -_-
Wishing Shayne's friends and family my sincerest condolences along with the other guys that knew him.

Always thought he was a decent bloke although he did have a way with words but he added a bit of spice to the community when he was around. I found him a bit more subdued since he came back to tfc and there's obviously reasons for that.

He was a top player as most people have already pointed out and he did well for a lot of his competitive tfc on a pretty shit setup too iirc. I was actually looking forward to seeing him own it up on the new pc....

RIP Layzie
Old 1-09-2014, 17:14
Australia
30 Years Old
753 Posts

Layzie was a good clan leader and a top bloke. His flame was second to none. He gave me my first go in a big dog clan (Unison) and saw potential where other clans didnt, absolute legend and in the day a top 5 player outa aus and nz. Alot of people remember his soldier skills but i was always impressed with him on Offence, taught me alot of cool stuff.

Hope hes at peace.

Sorry for your loss DL, wishes to the family and friends
Old 1-09-2014, 17:29
Australia
29 Years Old
3,061 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
Badministrator
Extremely sorry to hear

Thoughts go out to everyone who knew him
Old 1-09-2014, 17:51
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
Thanks for the kind words fellas He loved you all. Thank you to whoever stickied this, means a lot
Old 1-09-2014, 18:45
Australia
1,742 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
fanatical.bvz fanatical is offline aka Sigmae, zire, Dyse, zxcv
Didn't know this guy nor do i play TFC but RIP and thoughts are with everyone.
Old 1-09-2014, 19:09
Australia
386 Posts
Steam Profile
One Night withtonberry tonberry is offline aka tonbeli
League Admin
sad news to hear bout layzie, still remember playing the big Q was a down to earth fellow when you got to know him
will be missed
Old 1-09-2014, 19:39
Australia
29 Years Old
452 Posts
I remember him when I first started playing dominating everyone in 2v2's. I recently mentioned I have a 2v2 of him and Silva playing together but I don't know how to upload it (im a shit cunt).

I spoke to him once on the mic, asked him what he did for a quid (trucky) and that was it. He seemed like a nice guy.

He may have been the biggest abuser on the world, but regardless, he shared our strong passion for gaming esp TFC.

Thoughts to all. it shows how strong this community once was. Everyone should be congratulated.
Old 1-09-2014, 19:41
Australia
32 Years Old
770 Posts
I didn't know layzie particularly well, but I remember when layzie joined eject, holy crap he got shit done. So many frags and flags were all down to him. RIP.
Old 1-09-2014, 22:32
Sydney
29 Years Old
12,523 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
hawks.elclassico hawks is offline aka hawks, seamus, hawkslice, hawx, l1te, seamuS, RuinR
I'll miss you like all fuck dude.

RIP layziebone, Quantum, ShoCk, Storm.
Last edited by hawks; 1-09-2014 at 22:52. Reason: 2emocanttype
Old 1-09-2014, 22:41
Australia
31 Years Old
2,626 Posts
I feel it's appropriate to make sure people who are feeling regret, or partial blame - that you shouldn't.

Understandably it's a shit and sad situation, but each person is responsible for their actions. The best thing you can do going forward is to make sure you check in on your mates from time to time - and ensure you ask the question "Are you ok?".

In reality when someone has gotten to a point of suicide, they have unfortunately gone past the point where comfort, solace, empathy, or support can make a difference.

Try not to feel guilt or regret - as I am sure it's not what Shayne would have wanted. He was clearly in a dark space, and he felt the best way out was through self harm. It isn't a result of friends or family not giving support, as I am sure everyone was giving him the best assistance they knew how.

Try to remember him for what he was, and how each one of us have had a huge interaction with him over his years of gaming - and be sure to take the opportunity to look out for your mates going forward.
Last edited by Apoc; 2-09-2014 at 00:15.
Old 1-09-2014, 22:47
Finland
29 Years Old
555 Posts
Oh wow Really liked layzie back in the day, RIP man.
Old 1-09-2014, 23:32
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
I went to see his parents again today, was absolutely heartbreaking. We watched family videos all night. I brought over a USB filled full of stuff. Thanks guys, his mother is VERY appreciative of all of the collected efforts of everybody. His family is astounded at the support that has come from these forums. Thank you guys, it makes me feel a little better about such a tragic loss.

Lovely posts Apoc, we loved playing with you mate
Last edited by Deathlord; 2-09-2014 at 00:43.
Old 2-09-2014, 03:46
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyrE View Post
hmm, i know its only a small gesture, but donating to beyond blue - who have a partnership with Ozfortress, might be a really proactive way to pay tribute to Shayne

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/
I've set up a support page for Shayne. Those that feel they want to donate towards beyond blue for Shayne feel free to do so.

I absolutely hate money, but I will be donating and am very curious as to how high this can amount to. Shayne had a LOT of people that loved him, as made very evident in this thread alone.

If it's to stop another poor soul from taking his or her own life then why not Life is too short this week has taught me
Old 2-09-2014, 06:53
Brisbane
31 Years Old
2,142 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
holy shit, that's fucked

i didn't speak to him too often, and it was mainly in his anger days, but whenever i did he seemed exactly like everyone has described him here. level headed, strong will, a loyal and honest bloke

my condolences to his family, which obviously includes you deathlord. if you feel like it's getting a bit much at times, i can relate, and you're more than welcome to shoot me a message and let off steam to your hearts content. i'll make time for you. don't be afraid to ask your mates for help if you need it either

i'm quite happy to donate to his family instead of beyondblue, if his daughter etc will be left struggling financially and going without necessities
Old 2-09-2014, 08:39
Australia
30 Years Old
5,104 Posts
Steam Profile
I think the first time I played with Shayne/Ivan was on the old XT conc server way back in the earliest days of xC/SFA (the first version way back before ozfort even existed). I remember this was prior to voice comms so our raging was limited to text. When voice comms came in I can remember him sounding a whole lot different than what I thought he would, on the flip side I probably sounded like a little bitch at that age - shit I can't even think of how many times I've played in the same clans or even tried to lead with layzie. I remember as we got better, both him and Ivan made leaps and bounds of improvement in their play and whilst I was relegated to bottom feeder clans they went on to the likes of LEGION/E4E

Possibly some of the funniest times I've had on mIRC were with him and other fellas like Trinidad, shortie/logical, hawks etc it is an absolute shame that this has happened. Last I heard he had a little one and things seemed positive. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I hope he is at peace with whatever demons he was living with.

Makes all those times anyone was on the receiving end of a Quantum spray/insult all the more appreciated now

RIP mate
Old 2-09-2014, 09:13
Australia
32 Years Old
226 Posts

Rip.

TFC was a huge part of my entire teens, will never forgot the bonds I had with people and the memories.
Layzie was one of my closest tfc friends, we used to feed off each others rage.
I send my condolence to his family and friends.

DL if you start a contribution page I will happily donate to his family.
Old 2-09-2014, 10:58
Australia
34 Years Old
2,546 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
RIP quant.

much enjoyment came from reading the flame wars over on NPA forums; quant was always leading the charge. A funny bloke.

maybe rename the TFC tourny to quantcup or something ?
Old 2-09-2014, 11:32
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossy View Post

Rip.

TFC was a huge part of my entire teens, will never forgot the bonds I had with people and the memories.
Layzie was one of my closest tfc friends, we used to feed off each others rage.
I send my condolence to his family and friends.

DL if you start a contribution page I will happily donate to his family.
I wish I knew how to start a personal contribution page hossy It's great to hear from you again after so long bud. If those of you are interested in sending the Williams family some funds rather than donating to beyondblue, that will ultimately be better as it may assist them with the costly funeral arrangements and what not.

I've never had to do this before so yeah PM me or something guys? If you'd like to contribute directly? I don't mind doing that for them either. I will be doing both regardless
Old 2-09-2014, 11:34
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EW View Post
RIP quant.

much enjoyment came from reading the flame wars over on NPA forums; quant was always leading the charge. A funny bloke.

maybe rename the TFC tourny to quantcup or something ?
NPA forums, fuck I miss those lol

He would be beyond honoured if something like that were to happen. I'll be playing soonish, as rusty as I am ;P I want to honour him in some way also, either by adding his name to mine in some variation, or as you suggested EW - dedicating or naming a tourny on his behalf. That would have made him smile the huge smile that he always had.
Old 2-09-2014, 15:40
Australia
20 Posts
Steam Profile
hkz just mentioned this to me... can't fucking believe it... quant was one of the first mates i had in TFC many years ago going to miss ya bud.

toothpick/ogre
Old 2-09-2014, 16:53
Australia
32 Years Old
11,695 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
Columnist
https://give.everydayhero.com/au/ben-59

Stuffed up spelling of his name in the donation.

If anyone sees any errors or suggests corrections in the story please let me know.