?

Old 8-08-2011, 18:23
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask A Question Forum
This is fairly basic but it's something I screw up all the time.

Quote:
Source:
http://www.ubercharged.net/2009/08/3...ive-the-medic/
...A general heal order for this point and the rest of the match is:

Players lit (in red health) and taking damage
Players lit
Everyone else

For lulls in action:

Get the Demo and Soldiers up to full health
Buff/heal the Scouts
Buff the Demo
Buff your pocket
The thing is, if I follow this to the letter, I get yelled at for not buffing my heavies up enough during the 'first' heal tap, as it means that they can't go jumping off just yet. If I focus on my heavies, the scouts have to wait longer for their buffs (it takes longer to buff heavies), which means lost time for them too.

So here's my question:
Assuming the whole team is lit and there's a brief period of 'quiet' (holding a territory), what would the heal order be?

And semi-related:
In a fire-fight, if my whole team is lit, who should I heal first? Should I be spreading heals around? Should I focus on one until he's buffed?

Any advice would be good. Thanks
Old 8-08-2011, 18:24
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy
I would probably heal in this order in combat (in a bubble)
  • Distribute heals until everyone is out of the red zone (~100hp)
  • Full buff scouts
  • Fully heal up and buff demo/2ndary
  • Heal up Primary

A non-combat primary at 300hp is always done last and its pretty much a cue to him to start shooting the floor and grind up uber. You heavies yelling at your are probably wrong, however the only time i would heal a heavy class before scouts is on specific map points where the demoman needs to be quickly healed up first to jump ahead (eg jump to spire from middle). 90% of the time a scout will be a quick speed heal, and will want to be further away from the combo sooner, and the buff is much more significant to their life than any other class.

That said if anyone comes to you demanding buff priority, they probably know they will be a fast speed buff (out of combat for a while) and its usually worth taking advantage of that.

In a firefight where the whole team is lit, then the choice of who to heal will be different based on player positioning and whether your team can likely win the fight still, However the priority should be
  • Save the demoman if your wanting to retreat, and your confidant if only 2 of you will get away safely, you 2 will be able to.
  • Save scouts if the fight is nearly won, and you just need someone to mop up and cap out
  • Dont risk yourself if things are looking bad.
Old 8-08-2011, 18:24
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feresar
What that guy said. All I will add is that if you're fighting and someone demands heals point them towards a nearby healthpack and keep healing your forward players, this goes for everyone. Don't soak 5 seconds of healing when there is hp nearby.
Old 8-08-2011, 19:07
Adelaide
10,628 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
foxy•Darien#c0g Darien is offline aka darienphoenix
Super Moderator
No Mercy covered it pretty well.

If you're not in combat/just finished a fight, your heal order should be based on who will be away from you soonest. Your primary won't be going anywhere, so he can wait. Heal/buff the scouts so they can get away from you and back to their jobs.
Old 8-08-2011, 19:23
Australia
157 Posts
Alienware winnerI've won 12 grand finals!Attended ozfLANPast/Current All-AustralianSteam Profile
bonobo bonobo is offline aka LoveZombie, Solo
Past/Current All-Australian
5:52 PM - iM bonobo intel: scouts > demo > soldier
5:52 PM - iM bonobo intel: demo first if he wants to do a james 'yuki' stanton jump
Old 8-08-2011, 21:00
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
go!Cole Cole is offline aka geomanis
League Admin
Yeah what bonobo said. Soldiers are damage sinks, they can't avoid it very well and take ages to heal up. They also can't do anything while they are low on hp. So why bother wasting time healing them if there are other targets you can choose to heal? You're better off making sure they have around 70 hp and telling them to bomb the enemy so that the rest of your team can retreat, or so you can have about 5 seconds to heal up the demo and scouts instead.
Old 8-08-2011, 22:15
Australia
1,041 Posts
I've won 12 grand finals!Attended ozfLANScout MedalPast/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
Past/Current All-Australian
Using medkits is really important

my flow nearly all game is take damage ---> medkit ---> buff ---> take damage

so in a situation when our teams all hurt and other teams pushing I would probably grab medkit call to mike for buff because i havnt taken damage for 10 seconds can get buffed fast ---> +w
Old 12-08-2011, 15:02
Auckland
156 Posts
MentorSteam Profile
Avrilhas the fever Avril is offline aka Aze
Quote:
So here's my question:
Assuming the whole team is lit and there's a brief period of 'quiet' (holding a territory), what would the heal order be?
As already said; players that need to leave and go back to their positions and/or make plays immediately.

Quote:
And semi-related:
In a fire-fight, if my whole team is lit, who should I heal first? Should I be spreading heals around? Should I focus on one until he's buffed?
Pretty similar to first answer although it is usually preferable to heal a player currently taking damage or a player who is currently in the process of making a play, this player may change many times during a fight.

As a general rule I would rather heal a player who is at or near full health but is currently engaged in a fight rather than nearby player who is in critical health but is not currently engaged.
Old 13-08-2011, 14:06
Adelaide
10,628 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
foxy•Darien#c0g Darien is offline aka darienphoenix
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
As a general rule I would rather heal a player who is at or near full health but is currently engaged in a fight rather than nearby player who is in critical health but is not currently engaged.
This.

If they're going to be gibbed by a stray rocket anyway, you might be wasting your time. Heal the people who have the best chance of winning the fight for you.
Old 13-08-2011, 15:51
Australia
1,887 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
foxy•Crowie#c0g Crowie is offline aka Dr. Crowie
agreed, that player in the red should looking for a hp and reloading anyway, unless its someone you havent healed for a while then a quick tab with the beam will get them in the safe zone (ie scouts)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37
Melbourne
29 Years Old
6 Posts
What about for highlander?

I tend to favour the Demo and will heal-scouts/buff-sollys. However, Highlander has Pyros, Heavys and even Spies.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48
Australia
693 Posts
Steam Profile
At a guess you'd go:

heavy/demo
soldier
scout/sniper (if their sniper is still up)
whatever else
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
go!Cole Cole is offline aka geomanis
League Admin
Highlander is chaotic and unorganized and there is no correct heal priority. Everybody cops damage constantly, its worth just healing the demoman and heavy the most and keeping the sniper fully buffed as often as possible.

Soldier/Pyro are damage sinks, tell them to run at enemies suicidally or to go look for health packs. The opportunity cost of healing a soldier/pyro compared to other classes isn't a good trade generally.
Last edited by Cole; 10-02-2012 at 11:33.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:04
Melbourne
29 Years Old
6 Posts
I tend to give the Pyro a quick buff so they can do a suicidal run. I'd rather a defensive Pyro, but they get so hot-headed sometimes.