?

Old 1-09-2014, 02:00
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
[Edit]:

The fund for Shayne's funeral can be donated to via: https://www.facebook.com/shayne.williams.1987?ref=hl

These funds go into an account that go directly towards the funeral costs and any remaining money that's left over will be put into a trust account for Jordan Chloe Williams, Shayne's seven year old daughter.

Hello guys,

It's been awhile since I posted on here, I just thought that I owed this to all of the people that came in contact with my best friend, and brother Shayne.

Shayne Williams (better known as layzie, Quantum) has passed away He took his own life on August 30th.

Not everybody in the forums will have known him but most of the oldies will most definitely have been touched by Shayne, or his temperamental and rather hilarious outbursts on IRC (namely #SFA, #ozfortress, #chauTFC and the like).

So I guess this is a big shout out to everybody that made playing Team Fortress Classic during it's competitive prime such a BIG part of our lives.

SiLVA
Hawks
Kermit
Nug/Ferm/Resup whore ;P
Spoti
Vishy
Happychef
Spector
Jolly
Wheaties
baf
rowlie

E4E
iRG
BBQ

The list could probably go on for days.. Thank you guys. I miss my best friend who I played so many hours of TFC with back in the day.

Here's a short video that he had compiled a few years ago:

http://mrclan.com/avi/a_layzie_production.mp4

Spector edit:

For visibility it would be great if you guys can donate - https://give.everydayhero.com/au/ben-59

Or PM Deathlord if you want to contribute anything to help pay for Shayne's funeral.
Last edited by Deathlord; 4-09-2014 at 10:43.
Old 1-09-2014, 02:07
Australia
30 Years Old
8,684 Posts
QUACK!
MentorSteam Profile
Retired administrator
are you serious?

that is devastating.

i remember ages ago he used to be really aggressive and we hated each other(seems petty now) but as time went on, he mellowed out and he turned out to be a really sweet person and a genuinely nice guy. he was a big part of this community and added so much to it from the moment he started playing tfc

terrible news to hear i hope his friends and family will be ok

Last edited by baf; 1-09-2014 at 02:09.
Old 1-09-2014, 02:12
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
I should have put you on the list baf, he hated you then loved you haha

It just brings me down, he's been trying to get me to play for the last 5 months and I've been lazy about it..

Thanks for your condolences mate, I went to see his family today.. they're doing about as well as you'd expect I guess..
Old 1-09-2014, 04:22
Australia
29 Years Old
1,264 Posts
Extremely sad and shocking news . It really hits hard knowing i was just interacting and playing TFC with him the past month.

In my honest opinion, he was one of the greatest to ever play tfc and someone that i really admired watching and playing along side. He was one of, if not the funniest characters among the community and will be missed dearly.
Old 1-09-2014, 06:11
Australia
52 Years Old
1,703 Posts
Fucken hell ! I had no clue he was doin it tough. Seemed like the same old Layzie these past weeks just more tongue in cheek. I'm so sorry for your loss DL ): .... I was happy to see him playing with us all again.... I still remember meeting you guys at the lan at St Bedes and seeing you both ( obviously great mates ) playing awesome in software mode on those old beaten up pc's. Words are never enough - RIP Layzie,.. |E4E|Storm...
Old 1-09-2014, 06:20
Australia
29 Years Old
6,469 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
That is the most un-expected and saddening news i've ever seen.

So sad to hear he was struggling with anything, i wish that we spoke more - as he was hilarious too.
He's at peace now .
Old 1-09-2014, 06:31
Australia
32 Years Old
14,626 Posts
QUACK!Team Blue VeteranTeam Red VeteranAttended ozfLANSteam Profile
Retired Administrator
horrible news. my thoughts are with his friends and family.
Old 1-09-2014, 06:46
Australia
25 Years Old
5,348 Posts
QUACK!
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
yuki.au yuki is offline aka Yuki
Past/Current All-Australian
Holy shit.

I only started playing recently, and as a result only had the privilege of playing/chatting with him during pugs here and there. Seemed like a lax, easy going guy.

My condolences to friends and family.
Old 1-09-2014, 07:33
New Zealand
31 Years Old
2,893 Posts
Steam Profile
Jols is right, words aren't enough. Shayne was a great man and a great player.

DL - great to see you again, under better circumstances next time I hope. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 1-09-2014, 07:34
Australia
32 Years Old
6,274 Posts
Steam Profile
Wow that's fucked up.

I had plenty of run ins with layzie in the day, but also had some great conversations with him also. Some of my favorite times in tfc were the RoK vs. Unison matches and the bullshit talk afterwards.

Hope you and his family are going ok deathlord.

Unison real forever

Edit: just want to also say layzie imo was one of the best players in oz/nztfc back in the day, such a beast
Last edited by Kerns; 1-09-2014 at 07:36.
Old 1-09-2014, 07:54
Auckland
29 Years Old
4,948 Posts
Steam Profile
vR*ir.pegg ir.pegg is offline aka ir.pegg, warface, gFx
RIP m8

Always a top bloke in my eyes and pretty down to earth guy who just stood up for what he believed in
Old 1-09-2014, 07:59
Sydney
29 Years Old
5,560 Posts
Steam Profile
Oh damn. I really liked Quant. He always spoke his mind and he was such a loyal bloke, especially when I was in and after SFA...he always stayed loyal to the person once he was mates, even if they still didn't talk much anymore.

One of the few blokes that has ever fooled me so badly I've remembered it years later...when he convinced me he was a singer in Nesian Mystiks

Incredibly sorry to see him go. Hope his family and child get through everything okay...

Thanks for coming on and posting DL.
Last edited by Onk; 1-09-2014 at 08:00.
Old 1-09-2014, 08:00
Australia
317 Posts
Steam Profile
Sad news, was always a funny guy in tfc.
Shame we can no longer play with him

RiP
Old 1-09-2014, 08:16
Australia
33 Years Old
6,487 Posts
Steam Profile

i think quantum was the first internet troll i ever encountered, he really got to me which i'm sure he enjoyed, i even posted on ozfortress saying who is this guy

i remember that post, because within it somebody said "if you met him under different circumstances you'd probably be good mates nug"

whoever that was, was 100% correct, quantum/layzie was a great mate, good playing companion and a quality human being.

playing with him in unison and dF were some of the most fun times ive had, and he was still the great joking fella today that he was then

amazing that he came across as brash when he first appeared on the scene, he made sure everyone knew his name, but in the end he was humble and incredibly talented.
one of the best players from our country to have ever played the game

we'll miss ya big fella
Old 1-09-2014, 08:19
Australia
292 Posts
Terrible news, my thoughts are with his family and friends. Being such a small community, we each impact on one another so much.

R.I.P Layzie
Old 1-09-2014, 08:52
Australia
35 Years Old
2,301 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
That's terrible news He was always a larger than life character in our little community, and it's not an understatement to say he will be missed by many ;(

Thanks for letting us know DL
Old 1-09-2014, 08:57
Australia
32 Years Old
2,626 Posts
That's so sad. Thank you for letting us know.

This is a big reminder to people that words make a big impact to someone, when you least expect it.

If you've not talked to your mate or friends recently, send them a message and ask how they are.

It makes the world of difference to some people.

RIP quantum. The struggle is over mate.
Old 1-09-2014, 09:44
Australia
33 Years Old
2,288 Posts
sux
Old 1-09-2014, 09:54
Sydney
29 Years Old
5,560 Posts
Steam Profile
Tell you what, I really feel bad for all those times I couldn't be fucked joining him for a 2v2/4v4.
Old 1-09-2014, 10:03
Australia
32 Years Old
11,696 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
Columnist
RIP shayne

I had no idea the struggle was that big.

Condolences to his family and friends. Man, his poor daughter :'(.

I actually feel now like I should have done more to connect to him in these past few months. He was always such a great personality and despite the tough guy appearance, deep down was a big softy.

I had so much fun in unison - I owe my TFCing ability to quant, he was the one that gave me a chance and taught me the game along with you Deathlord: I am very sorry for your loss mate.

We've had our ups and downs in TFC, people quitting the game and for a period not many playing but this is the biggest loss of all. I am actually beside myself a little and didn't think an internet buddy would have such a profound effect on me. Can't imagine what it is like for everyone else.

You will always be remembered mate.

edit: wrote dying instead of playing **
Last edited by Spector; 1-09-2014 at 12:07.
Old 1-09-2014, 10:31
Australia
32 Years Old
11,696 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
Columnist
holy fuck my last convo with him

"Thursday, August 28, 2014
layzie: i have a new pc
layzie: and it wont let me join a server
layzie: says i am missing w_grenade.mdl
Spector: google it
"

I don't think he tried to play again after that. fuck I feel awful
Old 1-09-2014, 10:40
Auckland
29 Years Old
4,948 Posts
Steam Profile
vR*ir.pegg ir.pegg is offline aka ir.pegg, warface, gFx
Don't be so hard on yourself spector
Old 1-09-2014, 10:45
Australia
32 Years Old
6,274 Posts
Steam Profile
Just looked up this for old times sake, an interview i didnt with layzie years ago

http://ozfortress.com/showthread.php...ghlight=layzie
Old 1-09-2014, 11:01
Australia
34 Years Old
294 Posts
Steam Profile
I don't even know what to say. This is so disheartening. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 1-09-2014, 11:22
Australia
31 Years Old
92 Posts
Just reading all of those replies made me tear up a tad fellas, thanks so much for taking time to read and reply to this He would've done the same, he may have portrayed himself as a tough, hot headed individual but as most of you have suggested he really was a softie on the inside. He loved the game but more-so loved playing with all of you.

I'm sorry that I didn't include everybody in that 'list', it's been a few years xD

I hope to play the game again soon, perhaps after his funeral service has been organised. He tried getting me to play all of this year, and I was just lazy about it (tad depressed myself). That's one of the things I regret the most.

Thanks again guys, will catch up with all of you in due time
Old 1-09-2014, 11:22
Melbourne
38 Years Old
492 Posts
I remember quantum fondly from the old days. He certainly talked smack when he came onto the scene but I quickly realised that he was way better at TFC than I would ever be.

Even a couple of months ago when we played vlips and he'd been barely playing, he still had absolutely formidable skills. Some of his soldier and scout work was amazing.

It's incredibly sad and I'm sorry for your loss Deathlord. Layzie and I were never best buddies but I have a huge amount of respect for him.
Old 1-09-2014, 11:27
Sydney
30 Years Old
2,644 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
That's so sad. Thank you for letting us know.

This is a big reminder to people that words make a big impact to someone, when you least expect it.

If you've not talked to your mate or friends recently, send them a message and ask how they are.

This.

Really sad news. Sometimes the friendships we build through this game and any other are just as important as the ones we make face to face.

I have met people through playng this game and would classify many as good friends.

RIP =(
Last edited by convex; 1-09-2014 at 11:29.
Old 1-09-2014, 11:43
Sweden
506 Posts
Steam Profile
I remember back in the day when there were pages of Q flame threads and trolling. Obviously he got under a lot of peoples skin and some people got the wrong impression of him. For whatever reason we always got along well though. I think this thread speaks to the fact that everybody who took the time to get to know him (instead of judging somebody without personally interacting with them) knew he was a really great, authentic bloke.

I'm not sure what you've been going through, but I'll miss you buddy. k3
Old 1-09-2014, 11:51
Australia
31 Years Old
711 Posts
Oh man I noticed he was starting to play a lot more recently and was getting real good again!

Worst news. My thoughts are with you guys DL
Old 1-09-2014, 11:56
Sydney
31 Years Old
2,195 Posts
Steam Profile
this is so sad. reading through that interview brings back some great memories of him