?

Old 10-10-2014, 22:35
Perth
200 Posts
Steam Profile
myriis.ripe myri is offline aka StarViper7, StarViper
Introduction

So, the first round of the owl season is finally over. After a couple of delays due to teams wanting extensions, we finally have the results. So let’s take a look at what happened and discuss who is looking like they have the potential to reach the finals.

(1) 10-4 Rubber Ducky (1-0-0)

Quote:
The strongest looking team of the season overcame their opposition in week one with a scoreline of 5-0 on cp_badlands and 5-1 on cp_process. As was expected pez, Smauglet and yuki were all doing huge work on the Rubber Ducky side as well as a slightly unexpected performance from bulk on pocket, showing he’s been working hard on his pocket play. As is expected by most, this team receives first seed for the predicted rankings at the end of the season.
(2) Jasmine (0-1-0)

Quote:
In their match against The 25, Jasmine produced a tie with a scoreline of 5-4 on cp_badlands in favor of The 25 and 5-2 on cp_process in favor of Jasmine. The pocket for Jasmine, Geoh has begun to come into his own and is producing consistent good damage and frags for his team, definitely a player to watch going forward in the season and certainly more of a powerhouse than expected. Despite the tie, this team receives second seed. I believe this team is looking very strong and the fact that they only lost badlands by a single round in a game where the opposing demo and pocket were doing big work is testament to their ability as a team going forward in the season.
(3) L O I T E R S Q U A D (1-0-0)

Quote:
This week L O I T E R S Q U A D showed a reasonably dominant performance in their first round of the season, taking down TeaTime 5-3 on cp_badlands and 5-1 on cp_process. Interestingly TeaTime managed to secure the entire first half of badlands going 0-3 up on L O I T E R S Q U A D before Cindy responded. During the second half of badlands and all of process Cindy picked up his game and began delivering what we expect to see from him, consistently being in the top damage and top frags of the statistics from the second half of badlands onwards. It just goes to show what a team L O I T E R S Q U A D is, being able to reassess their play after a disappointing half and bring it back to win the map. Big plays as always from Cindy as well as some strong sniping from z0mbify helped give L O I T E R S Q U A D the win. This team receives third seed even though Jasmine tied because Jasmine faced an arguably stronger opponent; however I still expect big things from this team moving forward.
(4) The 25 (0-1-0)

Quote:
In week one The 25 faced off against Jasmine, one of this season’s toughest teams. However, despite the fact that The 25 rarely scrim, and that Jasmine are one of the harder scrimming teams around at the moment, both teams managed to take a map, albeit with a close scoreline on cp_badlands with only one round making the difference. On cp_badlands The 25 took the win 5-4, while on cp_process Jasmine won with a comfortable 5-2. The pocket and demo for The 25, b25 and Mental Realm respectively, both produced massive amounts of damage and frags, especially on badlands. While b25 remained strong on process, it appears that Realm fell off somewhere along the way, ending up around the middle of the damage table on both halves of process. This team is looking very strong and the fact that they can take a map off another very strong team, which on paper look as if they should’ve won more convincingly, bodes well for The 25 moving forward into the season. For a strong week one performance they receive fourth seed.
(5) TeaTime (0-0-1)

Quote:
Week one of the OWL season saw TeaTime go up against the formidable L O I T E R S Q U A D. Although they started with a strong first half on cp_badlands, capping 3-0, L O I T E R S Q U A D responded after half time bringing the score to 5-3 and snatching the map from TeaTime’s grasp. The second map was a more convincing win for L O I T E R S Q U A D, capping out TeaTime for 5-1. TeaTime fought well with players Sam. and Campbell giving it their all, producing some decent damage and frags but ultimately lost out. After a reasonable performance against one of the stronger teams this season it seems fair to say that TeaTime might have a shot at one of the finals spots, but it ultimately depends on how much work they do over the season. For this reason they receive fifth seed.
(6) Keyboard_Warriors (0-0-1)

Quote:
In week one of the season, relatively new team Keyboard_Warriors was tasked with taking on the strongest team in the division. Against 10-4 Rubber Ducky it was undoubtedly a struggle for the less experienced team and Rubber Ducky ended up taking the win convincingly with a 5-0 win on cp_badlands and 5-1 win on cp_process. On the Keyboard_Warriors side, fear was a huge force although this isn’t heavily reflected in the statistics as a result of the scoreline. Hopefully the side can pull together as a team and come to be one of the most improved teams of the season.
(7) Behemoth eSports (1-0-0)

Quote:
The first game of their OWL season saw Behemoth eSports facing off against geddemwet. Incredibly, Behemoth won 5-0 on both maps in under 45 minutes of actual gametime (after readying up). Zaka (puddy) produced good results on scout across both maps for Behemoth, as well as Drat performing well on process, although he had less impact on badlands. Although you can’t deny the dominant performance Behemoth showed in these games, it does have to be said that they were up against one of the lower teams this season which is the reason this team receives seventh seed.
(8) geddemwet (0-0-1)

Quote:
A disappointing start geddemwet this season, losing both maps in under an hour is sure to dampen the mood of any team hoping for a finals spot this season. From looking at the statistics from these maps, it’s actually really hard to pick a star player on the geddemwet side, simply because in one half Jaybladezz would be doing good damage and in the next, Milkmaiden would be, followed by Odin (Ryan) in another. Perhaps the answer to geddemwet’s problem in this first round lays somewhere in the inconsistency of their players. Unfortunately this team receives eighth seed as a result. (Sorry boys, someone’s got to do it).
Conclusion

Obviously this is only the results of the first round of a long season and teams are likely to improve and surprise as we move further along. It remains to be seen who will win and who will lose in any game coming up, including the grand final. Hopefully you enjoyed reading my thoughts on the season so far.

Look out for more news team content
COMING SOON!
(Valve time)
Last edited by myri; 11-10-2014 at 18:32.
Old 11-10-2014, 00:17
Australia
202 Posts
Steam Profile
nice writeup friend
Old 11-10-2014, 02:17
New South Wales
76 Posts
Steam Profile
jakjak25 jakjak is offline aka Jak_Jak
just out of curiosity, how do you justify placing your team (keyboard warriors) above behemoth esports?

otherwise nice write up, good to see some more content.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:13
Wollongong
1,545 Posts
QUACK!Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
Past/Current All-Australian
that's kind of the problem with someone being in a team for the division they're doing power rankings for

it's just going to be biased
Old 11-10-2014, 05:53
Perth
99 Posts
Steam Profile
.blanz. blanz is offline aka BLanZ
As eps said. However the last scrim with behemoth from memory was one map tied, one map to kw.
I'm sure future owl results will show who is actually better, and articles like this will reflect those results.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27
Sydney
60 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakjak View Post
just out of curiosity, how do you justify placing your team (keyboard warriors) above behemoth esports?

hey I'm not complaining

#1 next week imo
Old 11-10-2014, 17:38
Perth
200 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakjak View Post

Like I was telling andzo, I'm trying to do this by looking at which teams played who and the division as a whole. I justify it because I believe that my team in particular can achieve a 6th place finish. Our first round was against the strongest team in the competition, with players who have years of experience at the top level, against us, who are in fairly new territory (apart from fear), so that fact that we lost was kind of expected. In a game like Behemoth vs. geddemwet, I would've thought both teams would have an equal chance of winning (I was wrong I guess).

So the way I look at it, when a team that is currently in the bottom half of the teams in the division (us) plays the best team in the division (Rubber Ducky) and loses, after putting up a reasonable effort (despite the scoreline), I think that counts for more than two teams which I would consider in the lower half of the division, playing each other.

It's true it could be bias, but this is what I genuinely believe. The fact is that my team in particular is playing against the three toughest teams (arguably) in the first three rounds and has a lot less time to improve before we play against them then other teams will. That said, is it far to count us out and put us in last seed because we could potentially go 0-0-3 because of the way the schedule is?

I don't mean to make anyone feel bad for being in a low seed, I actually hated putting them there. I don't mean to make out that ANY team has no chance of being in finals, it's just the way I feel the rankings would work out. Besides that, it's still early days for the season, no one knows which team is going to win what games (for the most part), so I could be completely wrong.

At the end of the day I just tried to look at the relative skill between the teams that played and the results that were expected, as well as the teams in the division as a whole. This is why Jasmine got second seed despite tying with The 25 because I felt like they had a tougher game than L O I T E R S Q U A D vs TeaTime (I really don't mean to sound like I'm shittalking here). If a lower skilled team gets to play some other lower skilled teams for the first however many rounds and goes (4-0-0) or something, does that team deserve first seed or is Rubber Ducky still looking like the likely winner?

Hopefully you understand what I mean.
(Also it's really dumb to rank all the teams that won first round in the top seeds when a team like The 25 would probably beat Behemoth convincingly. Also Jasmine tied, are they to recieve fifth or sixth seed despite the fact that they are such a strong team?)
Last edited by myri; 11-10-2014 at 17:42.
Old 11-10-2014, 17:52
Brisbane
18 Years Old
243 Posts
Steam Profile
racNocturnal Nocturnal is offline aka Nocturnal, novacane, noctournal
W
A
L
L
Old 11-10-2014, 17:56
Perth
200 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
W
A
L
L
I'm taking lessons from aporia
Old 11-10-2014, 19:37
Australia
202 Posts
Steam Profile
roster mixups from behemoth may change things!
Old 11-10-2014, 21:39
Sydney
685 Posts
Steam Profile
!addayr ayr is offline aka Jafoos, _AyR, ayR, ayus
what's the goss gnat
Old 11-10-2014, 22:35
Australia
202 Posts
Steam Profile
super secret *try reading div1 transfer thread*
Old 11-10-2014, 22:48