Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2011, 15:44
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask A Question Forum
A lot of people say to be a good solider you have to learn to rocket jump really well.

Is it therefore beneficial to use the jump servers and stuff or is it better to learn through real game situations and experience?
Old 10-11-2011, 15:45
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feresar
Both. While jump maps will teach you some things you wont ever need (e.g. pogo), they will give you alternatives to what you would learn just by playing. Other than that, spend some time jumping around on comp maps and see what you can do, where you can go etc.
Old 10-11-2011, 15:45
Australia
3,183 Posts
Steam Profile
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy
Pretty much just this ^

• Learn how to rollout rocket jumps.
  • Chaining fast skip jumps is useful occasionally but probably a waste of time.
  • Jumping off walls is often faster than off the floor; this is a skill worth mastering.
  • If you can jump from pocket onto the top of spire of badlands in 1 jump, and you can jump onto gravelpit C top from spawn and from the floor near the hut - then youve learnt the only actual hard but important jumps.

Or be like me and practice rjing up granary dropdown for 2 hours.
Last edited by hatchet; 10-11-2011 at 15:46.
Old 10-11-2011, 15:52
Australia
1,041 Posts
I've won 12 grand finals!Attended ozfLANScout MedalPast/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
Past/Current All-Australian
didnt even answer your question

jump maps are really good for learning how to RJ

watch demos of good players to see how they RJ and then try to copy! thats really important
Last edited by Bowt; 11-11-2011 at 14:34.
Old 10-11-2011, 16:26
Australia
580 Posts
Past/Current All-AustralianSteam Profile
10-4bulk bulk is offline aka Bulk, bulk, BLACKZILLA
Rocket jumping to me is about being as efficient as you can with each jump i.e. gaining the maximum height and distance for each jump, while still managing to air strafe enough to not be a floating target in the sky. Jump maps are effective for this purpose because on most of the jumps if you aren't jumping to maximum height or with as much distance as possible you fail the jump. They also require strafing around corners/objects and help with learning how to control yourself in the air. It's not the only way to learn how to jump effectively but if you feel like your jumps are lacking it is beneficial.
Old 10-11-2011, 17:54
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
go!Cole Cole is offline aka geomanis
League Admin
Just practice on jump maps and in a local server on comp maps. Rocketjumping is a key skill to know, it may take a little while to be consistently good at it though.

Don't worry about challenging RJ maps like pagoda or rkcteer adv or whatnot, the beginner rckteer and maps like skyscraper can help get consistent jumps, which is all you really need for comp tf2.
Last edited by Cole; 10-11-2011 at 17:55.
Old 10-11-2011, 18:40
Australia
30 Years Old
8,684 Posts
QUACK!
MentorSteam Profile
Retired administrator
Get a rj script if you havent
Old 10-11-2011, 19:29
Australia
28 Years Old
3,061 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
Badministrator
Its a subject of great debate but especially while you are learning to rocket jump consistently an rj script can be extremely useful.

I still use mine for all wall jumps because it is one less thing to focus on while you are in a dog fight - obviously if you just rely on it and cannot manipulate your jumps when required using the proper techniques its going to bite you in the arse during a scrim sometime but as I said its a very handy tool while you are learning.

Its especially handy for new soldiers trying to learn the first jump from spawn on badlands right to the door without taking fall damage.

As for learning the different jumping techniques rj_rckteer and skyscraper are excellent for all the fundamentals, and if you can get a server with the maps you can do them with friends which is great fun and stops it from feeling like a chore when you can't quite nail something - its also a great way to observe someone else's jumping techniques if you can't quite grasp how a jump or trick is performed.
Old 10-11-2011, 21:32
Perth
1,248 Posts
QUACK!Team Blue VeteranSteam Profile
Fathas the fever Fat is offline aka fatcraftman
http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-14807/
+watch demos of ww and spend some time in a local server just jumpin aboot.
Old 13-11-2011, 15:15
Finland
1,860 Posts
Steam Profile
eko eko is offline aka eko, ekola cherry, pithög
Banned
with 0 hours in soldier and being asked to soldier in bob, I spent most of my time in RJ servers practising jumps. This does not only greatly increase your rj skill and speed, but also your muscle memory as well.

Knowing how to move fast is really important.
Old 13-11-2011, 16:04
Australia
25 Years Old
5,348 Posts
QUACK!
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
yuki.au yuki is offline aka Yuki
my post from the mentoring thread:

Better off practicing real jumps on real maps (a lot of quake jump maps had "key" jumps from a variety of the comp/real maps, I'm sure there is one for tf2).

Although the pocket-> spire one (from near the roller door) is a good jump to know, it's not very practical (less room for you to aircurve since you're further away = more chance to get airshot/denied).

Learn to not use a script also if you can help it
Old 14-11-2011, 01:19
Australia
239 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
rky rky is offline aka RockstarM, RockyTF2, Rocky
I would say that using a script constantly is detrimental to you're mobility.
By using a script you are limited by the height of your jumps so when you need to perform a, say, smaller or different type of rocket jump you won't attempt to perform it generally and you will use the standard crouch-jump-fire script.

Eh, that was messy.
For example: It's like people who bind space to jump-crouch and every time they jump against a rocket they go flying upwards. Movement scripts kinda just limit you really.

Not using a script is harder on the fingers at first but in the long run you will be more versatile.
Last edited by rky; 14-11-2011 at 01:21.
Old 15-11-2011, 19:35
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
League Admin
Jump scripts are useful because they can help you make jumps consistently. In a lot of circumstances, this is bad because you have no control over how high you go, or the hp you expend.

Rocketjumping without scripts allows you to have a lot more freedom. You can do more technical jumps, such as walljumps/rockethops or whatever. The only issue is that you aren't going to hit rocketjumps as consistently as with a script.

Learning when and when not to use the script is important, just think about the pro's and con's people have listed and then make a choice.
Old 15-11-2011, 19:54
Vietnam
897 Posts
QUACK!Team Red VeteranSteam Profile
ntrpy:wu ntrpy is offline aka etcsketch, - sketch -, ntrpy, sktch
Lammy's bitch
Everything you can do normally can also be done with a rj script. The only time you wouldn't use it was when you didn't want to crouch, which is rare.
Old 17-11-2011, 16:27
Finland
1,860 Posts
Steam Profile
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by - sketch - View Post
Everything you can do normally can also be done with a rj script. The only time you wouldn't use it was when you didn't want to crouch, which is rare.
only 12% of the jumps can be done with an rj script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomanis View Post
Jump scripts are useful because they can help you make jumps consistently. In a lot of circumstances, this is bad because you have no control over how high you go, or the hp you expend.

Rocketjumping without scripts allows you to have a lot more freedom. You can do more technical jumps, such as walljumps/rockethops or whatever. The only issue is that you aren't going to hit rocketjumps as consistently as with a script.
What?

RJ'ing should always be practised with 0 scripts. The reason for practising in the first place is so you have consistency and are able to perform the jumps properly with control.
Last edited by eko; 17-11-2011 at 16:31.
Old 17-11-2011, 18:31
Vietnam
897 Posts
QUACK!Team Red VeteranSteam Profile
ntrpy:wu ntrpy is offline aka etcsketch, - sketch -, ntrpy, sktch
Lammy's bitch
where did you get that number from
Old 17-11-2011, 20:53
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
League Admin
I see no problem with eliminating the chance of screwing up a jump by using a RJ script. Even if you are gods gift to rocketjumping, you will still make mistakes. Why risk that when you dont have to.

If you actually read my post, i advocate both methods, because consistency is good for some jumps, but its also important to be able to control the jumps effectively without a script. Did you even read my post?
Old 17-11-2011, 21:36
Finland
1,860 Posts
Steam Profile
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomanis View Post
I see no problem with eliminating the chance of screwing up a jump by using a RJ script. Even if you are gods gift to rocketjumping, you will still make mistakes. Why risk that when you dont have to.

If you actually read my post, i advocate both methods, because consistency is good for some jumps, but its also important to be able to control the jumps effectively without a script. Did you even read my post?
you should never use an RJ script.

The most important thing for a soldier is to be able to control everything he/she does thus nothing is automated. Using a script will hinder your performance and keep you at the bottom of the barrel.
Last edited by eko; 17-11-2011 at 21:39.
Old 17-11-2011, 21:37
Australia
2,987 Posts
QUACK!
Steam Profile
League Admin
yuki has spoken.
Last edited by Cole; 17-11-2011 at 22:02.
Old 17-11-2011, 21:41
Perth
1,248 Posts
QUACK!Team Blue VeteranSteam Profile
Fathas the fever Fat is offline aka fatcraftman
I'm liking how you both have deemed there to be a correct option to a matter of personal opinion.
Old 17-11-2011, 21:56
Australia
25 Years Old
5,348 Posts
QUACK!
Past/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
yuki.au yuki is offline aka Yuki
No, you just shouldn't use a script.
Old 30-11-2011, 02:40
Australia
23 Years Old
126 Posts
Soldier medalPast/Current All-AustralianSteam Profile
I'm not a mentor but there is a jump map that has quite a few practical jumps you could try.
rj_training_v3 made by cownaetion.
http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/120543
Closed Thread