906 Posts
Steam Profile
misotech`RJake Jake is offline aka Jake, JakeSnake
Columnist
Please read: a personal appeal from Jimmy Wales
Spike in a Rail – 13th March 2012
Man the guns, the Taiwanese are coming

Steam Guard

Sometime within the last year, Valve decided that there were far too many people from Rural Queensland getting themselves keylogged, and having all of their secret wotsits stolen from their steam accounts.

As a result, I introduce this week’s topic: Steam Guard.

If you are one of those people who happens to read the news on the steam page when it updates, then you will know about Steam Guard already. For those of you that are not boring, allow me to hastily copy and paste from the steam page Valve’s description of Steam Guard:

With Steam Guard enabled, anyone attempting to login as you from an unrecognized computer or browser must first provide additional, one-time authorization. A special access code will be sent to your contact email address, and this code must be entered into Steam before your first login on an unfamiliar computer is complete. You will also be notified if any login attempts from computers other than those you've authorized occur.

Now, the first thing you will notice if you are an enterprising young man (or TheYellowDart), is that this is not a game. And you would be right. This is a public service announcement.

Basically, Steam Guard will fling you an e-mail if you try to log into your steam from a different computer. And unlike other forms of security that are a pest to deal with, Steam Guard only requires you to login once. Once you have logged into steam by entering a little code (sent to your registered e-mail), that computer is verified, and Steam Guard will no longer bug you.

In short, it is a very good idea if you fancy keeping your wotsits. If you have any unusuals, then it might be an even better idea, as accounts can be broken into, and item banks emptied.

Even if you think you are a clever clogs who’s strong, reliable, and don’t need no security, it only takes a moment of inattentiveness to forfeit your steam account. Once a hacker has gained access to a friend’s account, they will send theirfriends (read: you) messages, with links that look like steam pages. Attempting to view the pages will require you to log in with your steam ID. This process is known as phishing.

This happened to me once. In my defence, I was extremely tired, but it illustrates my point precisely – A hacker (who had infiltrated a friend’s account) sent me some links, followed by a ‘lol!’. I for one enjoy harassing my friends on steam with random things, and so I clicked on it and signed in, expecting to see something humorous.

It looked exactly like a steam login page. And it wasn’t until I hit ‘sign in’ that I realised that the web address (which had steam.tk in it) did not appear to be terribly legitimate. And the next thing I knew, Johnny Taiwan had my account.

Lost accounts are retrievable (this was several years ago, before Steam Guard was around). But doing so is extremely annoying and time-consuming, and require you to go through the long and tedious process of actually dealing with Steam customer support.

I won’t badmouth them, because they did a very good job of getting my account back, but I’ve been told it can take a very long time indeed.

Your account may already be protected by Steam Guard. If not, or you’re not sure if it is, here’s how you can activate it.

1. Right-click Steam in your task tray.
2 Go to ‘Settings’.
3. Under settings, find the Account tab.
4. Click ‘Manage Steam Guard Account Security’.

I’m sure you can figure it out from there. If you’re having trouble, I suggest dipping your motherboard in a mixture of acid and celebrity-endorsed perfumes. Trust me, it works every time.

Another integral part of keeping your steam safe is to not use the same password for everything. I do not use the same password for my ozfortress account and my gmail account, and neither should you. This is good habit, as if Johnny Taiwan manages to snag your login details, he will not be able to access even more of your wotsits by going to Hotmail and entering the same password, along with an educated guess at your email (or just by finding it on your steam account). You will not believe how incredibly easy it is to access sensitive information this way. You might have your bank passwords stored there, or something even more important.

Of course, it’s all a bit far-fetched to imagine such doomsday scenarios, but it does happen, and it’s not difficult to prevent them. Just use steam guard, and make sure you switch your passwords around every now and again.

If you fail to utilise this free, simple and all-protecting solution, and then manage to lose your steam account, then you have a brain the size of a tomato and the work ethic of a cooked noodle, and everyone will laugh at you and call you names.

(But really, it’s not a big ask. It is your responsibility to protect your account. You really should do it.)

(When you’re done reading this.)

(As in, right now.)

(Nnnnow.)

(Now.)

(.)
Last edited by wm; 11-03-2012 at 18:31.
Old 11-03-2012, 18:31
Perth
4,249 Posts
QUACK!Attended ozfLANMentorSteam Profile
iMseekerintel seeker is offline aka Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Steam Guard only requires you to login once.
I get asked to retrieve the steam guard code every single god damn time I log on to my computer.. so annoying!
Old 11-03-2012, 18:32
Australia
4,313 Posts
ferelahis illin' ferelah is online now aka Feresar
League Admin
and dont have same password for steam and its registered email making steamguard useless -_-
Old 11-03-2012, 20:47
Sydney
35 Years Old
1,157 Posts
Steam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker View Post
I get asked to retrieve the steam guard code every single god damn time I log on to my computer.. so annoying!
its probably a result of some dodgy slipstream you did or something.
Old 11-03-2012, 22:15
Canberra
30 Years Old
13,384 Posts
QUACK!Attended ozfLANSteam Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feresar View Post
and dont have same password for steam and its registered email making steamguard useless -_-
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52
Australia
22 Years Old
4,817 Posts
Alienware winnerQUACK!I've won 12 grand finals!Team Blue VeteranAttended ozfLANSoldier medalPast/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
iMyukiintel yuki is online now aka Yuki
Past/Current All-Australian
Sure is my responsibility to protect my account - though I don't think I'm going to bother with something as fucking annoying as steamfaggotguard. Every time i saw the message pop up i just wanted to punch my monitor, even if it was "not difficult to do".

Good idea for people like ramby, however.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36
Australia
36,557 Posts
Steam Profile
vR*valk valk is offline aka valk, va
and rep ROFL
11:17 PM - yuri: vr are better than d because d dont play matches
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41
Australia
24 Years Old
4,468 Posts
Steam Profile
SanjayYasha Sanjay is offline aka Broken_Sound, eurO, jerk, nice guy
rambyguard
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43
Zambia
2,225 Posts
QUACK!Steam Profile
xXx_ShadowSpy_tomm_Slay3rOfNoobsxXx tomm is offline aka the tommunist, Mohawk, The Tommunist, Tom, Tommunist, Alpha G, tommu, hobbes
what ever happened to ramby?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18
Australia
4,313 Posts
ferelahis illin' ferelah is online now aka Feresar
League Admin
pudddyguard
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02
United States
26 Years Old
5,183 Posts
Administrator
I have this enabled and i didnt even know.

thanks steamguard!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07
Australia
1,606 Posts
QUACK!Team Blue VeteranSteam Profile
xXx_ShadowSpy_Smithsonian_Slay3rOfNoobsxXx Smithsonian is offline aka Smithsonian, Smashsonian
I was once chased down the street by a rabid Rottweiler, when steamguard heroically came and whip-kicked it in the face.

thanks steamguard!
Old 12-03-2012, 19:08
Australia
7,568 Posts
QUACK!Team Blue VeteranSteam Profile
Featuring Dante from thekanyeDevil May Cry Series kanye is offline aka juicycaboose, mirando
Supported Lag Relief '09
never had problems with steamguard apart from the few times i've logged onto steam on another computer

thanks steamguard!
Old 12-03-2012, 19:09
Adelaide
10,574 Posts
QUACK!Team Red VeteranAttended ozfLANSteam Profile
foxy•Darien#c0g Darien is offline aka darienphoenix
Super Moderator
SteamGuard is great, I don't know why people have issues with it. You activate a device/browser once, and it never bothers you again.
Old 14-03-2012, 14:17
Tasmania
22 Years Old
1,331 Posts
Steam Profile
Featuring Dante from thed4nDevil May Cry Series d4n is offline aka Dan!
i use steamguard.

thanks steamguard!
Old 14-03-2012, 15:40
Australia
3,713 Posts
QUACK!Scout MedalPast/Current All-AustralianSteam Profile
povohat.au povohat is offline aka povohat, pvh
I got a new monitor and had to re-auth.

Fuck you steamguard
Old 14-03-2012, 17:42
Australia
2,108 Posts
QUACK!Scout MedalPast/Current All-AustralianMentorSteam Profile
iMsnowblindintel snowblind is offline aka snowblind, snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien View Post
SteamGuard is great, I don't know why people have issues with it. You activate a device/browser once, and it never bothers you again.
yeah except for when it starts bugging out and asks you to log in every single time you launch steam
Old 14-03-2012, 20:03
Perth
4,249 Posts
iMseekerintel seeker is offline aka Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien View Post
No.. I get asked every time I login, as do a lot of other users.
Old 14-03-2012, 22:58
Adelaide
10,574 Posts
Super Moderator
Ah.

Well that sucks a lot of dick then.
Old 17-03-2012, 21:11
Australia
906 Posts
Steam Profile
misotech`RJake Jake is offline aka Jake, JakeSnake
Columnist
i once walked through Collingwood and didn't get stabbed by a junkie.

thanks, steam guard!
Old 17-03-2012, 22:18
Adelaide
10,574 Posts
Super Moderator
Hahahaha jake
Old 20-03-2012, 13:32
Australia
372 Posts
Steam Profile
Riot's OP Riot is offline aka LawrenceBro
I started using steamguard early on, then i got a new computer and didnt get asked to do the one-time auth.... Whats going on here!?!?

Worked for the laptop though :3, thanks steam guard!