View Single Post
Old 20-08-2010, 20:23
Australia
3,795 Posts
QUACK!Past/Current All-AustralianSteam Profile
Past/Current All-Australian
pvh secrets
various pieces of nerd shit 4u

Hey guys. I made a promise that if I was awarded a 'best scout' title in the last OWL season, I would make public a bunch of 'tricks' I use that I have previously kept relatively quiet. Well I got 2nd again which is enough for me to have to cough up.

First on the list is the null-cancelling movement script.

The story behind this goes back to the days of the short-lived "I Love Action" clan, featuring zellogs, fireslide, happychef, rad, bowt, jezo, wackety and of course myself. One evening, bowt was duel_duel2'ing (as he is wont to do) and requested that I take a look at this guy that was handing his ass to him.

This player was Psyclic, who was in myth at the time (i think). Well, from what I could tell, he was really good at quickly changing directions in fights, making him more difficult to shoot than the average scout. At this point, I remembered a controversial topic from the QW scene regarding a script that would later be implemented officially as cl_iDrive (albeit restricted under the smackdown ruleset).

When two opposing movement keys are held (this applies to any quake engine game), they will cancel each other out, resulting no movement in either direction. This script would prevent this from happening by ensuring that only one key in each axis can be held at any point in time.

For example, holding left strafe then holding right strafe would normally result in the player coming to a complete stop. This script would result in the player strafing right. If the player then released right strafe, normal left strafe would resume.

The QW equivalent script utilised advanced ezquake conditional scripting, so I had to re-work it to fit within the constraints of the source engine. This did not prove to be a difficult task, and within a few minutes I had it up and running. The other members of the clan in spec noted the difference.

"I Love Action" broke up (lets start a flame war in the comments about why) and the script followed Bowt, who then shared it with Subtitled and Sheep. I know this because I downloaded their POV demos and inspected them in a hex editor, and noted the frequent references to the familiar alias names from this script.

Does this script make you a pro scout? Nope.
Does it make any difference to gameplay? Probably.

Every player that has been awarded 'Best Scout' in every OWL season has used it. Rep (best scout in the world ever to touch TF2) does not use it and thinks it is a total waste of time. It is unlikely anybody outside the Australian community uses it, unless Bowt has traded it for carnage demos or something.

There is, of course, the disadvantage that you can no longer utilise this null to create unpredictable stops in your movement. But enough bullshit backstory, here's the useful part:

Code:
// Null-cancelling movement script
// (prevents you from pressing two opposing directions, which causes you to stop moving)

bind w +mfwd
bind s +mback
bind a +mleft
bind d +mright

alias +mfwd "-back;+forward;alias checkfwd +forward"
alias +mback "-forward;+back;alias checkback +back"
alias +mleft "-moveright;+moveleft;alias checkleft +moveleft"
alias +mright "-moveleft;+moveright;alias checkright +moveright"
alias -mfwd "-forward;checkback;alias checkfwd none"
alias -mback "-back;checkfwd;alias checkback none"
alias -mleft "-moveleft;checkright;alias checkleft none"
alias -mright "-moveright;checkleft;alias checkright none"
alias checkfwd none
alias checkback none
alias checkleft none
alias checkright none
alias none ""
Give it a test drive and let me know what you think.

Stay tuned for more
SECRETS OF TF2!
WHAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!

holy fukc im like that dude on the tv that shows magic tricks
Last edited by mercury; 10-12-2010 at 08:29.